D805 vs. Pentium IV 541

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGELLIS

In Runtime
I have a friend who is building a Core 2 Duo capable computer and he needs a P4 at the moment while he saves for an X6800, he cant decide between D805 and the Pentium IV 541 3.2GHz Prescott. Which is better for gaming performance, I personally would say the P4 as its better for gaming as the D805 cant be used Dual Core in games (correct me if i'm wrong).

Ruan

Why is he saving for an X6800? That's a complete waste of money. Just get teh E6700.

The P4 would do better, unless he wants to overclock the 805's FSB. However, that could be very dangerous to the system, and the motherboard.

Well, he says hes gona see what is gona happen to the pricing. I will persuade him on the E6700 personally!

Ruan

that's a perfectly fine idea...get a holdover cpu as I was planning to...that is until I found out my 6600 shipped (and of course now I'm enjoying)

Get the d805...you want to future proof your purchases, no matter how minor. It's $100...can be oc'd to 4.1ghz. You can buy one now, wait until vista and new conroes come out...and still enjoy the 805 if you/friend decide not to upgrade. Using the same socket makes it easy :)

i would also reccomend the Pentium D 805 although perhaps the 915 Presler wouldn't be a bad option either. don't buy it on the premise it can be overclocked though. for guaranteed performance i guess he should buy the P4 541 though. i also agree that the C2D X6800 is a massive rip off and it would be foolish of your friend to expect any significant price drop. as a rule the flagship processors will stay at their high price until they start to become obsolete. the C2D E6700 is a far cheaper option that will work almost as well but you certainly can't complain with it's price : performance ratio :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom