Custom or Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, ok, I wasn't thinking about Linux running that. I dunno why Linux doesn't create a version to sell in retailers, I mean they could use the Linux Kernal and go mainstream to compete with Microsoft and Apple.

lmao they do UBUNTU is available on mass produced pcs like dells if you don't want windows. Linux is sold mainly in industrial forms for research units most supercomputers supposedly use a derivative of linux as windows isn't always the best interface for DNA research and the like. Linux is free source because the community that make the programs are just average joes in there bedrooms and similar to the people on the forums are happy to write simple programs that then get built upon by others eventually creating full programs. Home linux versions are also sold and the prices are negligible however e.g $2-8 example OSDisc.com - Linux - Absolute Linux 12.0.7

follow the link in my sig and learn about some distros of linux.... its free to download and play around with it on your pc I much prefer on my laptop as it is quicker then windows and there are millions of free programs for all your needs

Btw, I was just in Montreal for vacation, man do you guys have too much snow, didn't you just break the record for most snow fall recorded?

Hahaha, nice. It's good to know that outsiders are aware of our struggles here in Montreal. A city this large shouldn't operate during the winter.

Were the French people rude with you?

Because the whole idea behind linux is that it isn't mainstream and most likely never will be.

The fact of the matter is, it doesn't have the program support other operating systems do and as such will be relegated to use mainly in a coding related environment.

I dual boot with Fedora because its what the computer engineering department at my university uses, and so for the sake of simplicity I use it too.

theres a new fedora out version 8 just in case you haven't realised :D

Hahaha, nice. It's good to know that outsiders are aware of our struggles here in Montreal. A city this large shouldn't operate during the winter.

Were the French people rude with you?

There was a couple people that treated us like we were trash, but mostly everyone was really nice. It was fun to visit, but I don't think I would like to live there, shoveling snow everyday doesn't seem fun to me. Plus computer parts are more expensive up there. :p

There was a couple people that treated us like we were trash, but mostly everyone was really nice. It was fun to visit, but I don't think I would like to live there, shoveling snow everyday doesn't seem fun to me. Plus computer parts are more expensive up there. :p

What, are you kidding? I order all my stuff from Vancouver, free shipping, 6% tax (soon to be 5% I think) and identical to US pricing, smaller items get air-shipped and delivered the next day. Buying computer parts in Canada ain't handicapped at all, there's good availability. I know several people from other forums who order something from Canada to the US, even with a stronger Canadian dollar.

The local stores here in Montreal really suck though. An 8800GTS G92 is about $450... :p

Yah, the winters here suck, we had an ice storm the put the city out for about a week and a half not too long ago - good times.

lol we're averaging 35 in minnesota!
W00T SPRING!

but on topic, i was thinking about running linux so i could run openoffice and do schoolwork, but i think i might just find a way to aquire microsoft works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom