Custom-Built Desktop - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-28-2008, 01:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Prototype's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 1,276
Default Custom-Built Desktop

Graphics Card: From which manufacturer should I buy the 9600GT SLI from?
Hard Drive: Should I go for multiple hard drives or a single hard drive? If multiple hard drives, how many?
Memory: What kind of memory should I buy for my motherboard (standard memory: DDR2 800)?
OS: Which one should I choose Windows XP x64 or Windows Vista x64?
Optical Drive: Should I buy a Blu-ray burner? Is it neccessary? Should I go for multiple drives or just one?
Power Supply: How do I know which one to pick?
Processor: Which Core 2 Quad should I buy?
Sound Card: Does it make a big difference if I buy one?
__________________

__________________
Project [PROTOTYPE] | Intel Core i7 Bloomfield
i7 920 4.4GHz | XFX 5870 Crossfire 900/1300 Mhz | EVGA E760 Classified | Windows 7 Ultimate | Logitech G5 | Logitech G15 | Silverstone Raven RV02 | Corsair 850HX
WD 640GB Black | WD 320GB External | Megahalems | G.Skill 6GB 1866 9-9-9-21

http://www.techist.com/pc/f10/project-prototype-218619/
Tech-Forums 1st 30K 3DMARK06

Intel Core i5 Lynnfield (Completed)
Prototype is offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 02:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Spartan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 814
Default Re: Custom-Built Desktop

We really need to know the uses of the computer before we can be of much help, mate.
__________________

Spartan is offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 02:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Prototype's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 1,276
Default Re: Custom-Built Desktop

Gaming, Overclocking & More
__________________
Project [PROTOTYPE] | Intel Core i7 Bloomfield
i7 920 4.4GHz | XFX 5870 Crossfire 900/1300 Mhz | EVGA E760 Classified | Windows 7 Ultimate | Logitech G5 | Logitech G15 | Silverstone Raven RV02 | Corsair 850HX
WD 640GB Black | WD 320GB External | Megahalems | G.Skill 6GB 1866 9-9-9-21

http://www.techist.com/pc/f10/project-prototype-218619/
Tech-Forums 1st 30K 3DMARK06

Intel Core i5 Lynnfield (Completed)
Prototype is offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 02:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
Luke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fonthill, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,601
Send a message via AIM to Luke Send a message via MSN to Luke
Default Re: Custom-Built Desktop

asuming it for gaming and you want it to last a year/year and a half i would go with this...

GPU:im not sure if u mean u want 2 9600gt's sli...if so the galaxy brand has good cooling, can oc well and looks very nice (i have one and will be getting another one soon)
HDD:if you don't plan to use raid 0 get one hdd :seagate 7200.11 500gig 32mb cache would be good.

Ram: 2 gb crucial ballistix or 2gb g.skill (800mhz)

OS: id say windows vista home premium 64bit.

Optical drives: blu ray is not neccisary unless u are watching blu ray movies on ur comp or burning them... just pick up a sata dvd writer,,,the only reason to get more then one optical drive is for u can have ur fav games in them for u don't have to switch,, or for u can burn a dvd/cd directly.

PSU: for that system a 620hx or pc power and cooling 610w would be perfect.

CPU: If you don't want to spen alot of doe the q6600 is still the best bang for the buck

CPU heatsink: if you want to oc go with a true,tuniq tower,, if you don't want to oc u can stick with the retail cooling or get a artic cooling freezer 7.

SC: some say a sound card does increase performance and some say it doesn't...its really up to u.

MOBO: depending on how much u want to spend on it if you want it to be upgradeable for a good while i would go with a 780i, if ur going to upgrade to mobo in a year then id say a 680i would be fine.
Luke is offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 02:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
NightSurge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 2,217
Send a message via AIM to NightSurge
Default Re: Custom-Built Desktop

A good cpu cooler that is very cheap is the Xigmatek brand. As far as the motherboard goes, you don't have to get an nVidia chipset. Look for a good x38 board as they are usually cheaper and are very good boards.
__________________

If I was helpful, please click the icon on the left hand side of this message that looks like a check mark Thanks!

NightSurge is offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 06:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Prototype's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 1,276
Default Re: Custom-Built Desktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke992006 View Post
asuming it for gaming and you want it to last a year/year and a half i would go with this...

GPU:im not sure if u mean u want 2 9600gt's sli...if so the galaxy brand has good cooling, can oc well and looks very nice (i have one and will be getting another one soon)
HDD:if you don't plan to use raid 0 get one hdd :seagate 7200.11 500gig 32mb cache would be good.

Ram: 2 gb crucial ballistix or 2gb g.skill (800mhz)

OS: id say windows vista home premium 64bit.

Optical drives: blu ray is not neccisary unless u are watching blu ray movies on ur comp or burning them... just pick up a sata dvd writer,,,the only reason to get more then one optical drive is for u can have ur fav games in them for u don't have to switch,, or for u can burn a dvd/cd directly.

PSU: for that system a 620hx or pc power and cooling 610w would be perfect.

CPU: If you don't want to spen alot of doe the q6600 is still the best bang for the buck

CPU heatsink: if you want to oc go with a true,tuniq tower,, if you don't want to oc u can stick with the retail cooling or get a artic cooling freezer 7.

SC: some say a sound card does increase performance and some say it doesn't...its really up to u.

MOBO: depending on how much u want to spend on it if you want it to be upgradeable for a good while i would go with a 780i, if ur going to upgrade to mobo in a year then id say a 680i would be fine.

Graphics Card: Why Galaxy? What about EVGA, XFX, MSI & GIGABYTE?
HDD: What is RAID? I heard it has to be at least 2 hard drives and if one fails it will be backup in the other one.
RAM: Why 2GB if I am going with a 64-bit?
Optical Drives: I'll just use my PS3 to watch Blu-ray.
Processor: Which one should I get Q6600 or Q9450? What is the difference except it has a larger cache memory, 45nm, cost more & newer?
Case: What ATX Full-Tower looks nice?
Monitor: How many " should I get?
__________________
Project [PROTOTYPE] | Intel Core i7 Bloomfield
i7 920 4.4GHz | XFX 5870 Crossfire 900/1300 Mhz | EVGA E760 Classified | Windows 7 Ultimate | Logitech G5 | Logitech G15 | Silverstone Raven RV02 | Corsair 850HX
WD 640GB Black | WD 320GB External | Megahalems | G.Skill 6GB 1866 9-9-9-21

http://www.techist.com/pc/f10/project-prototype-218619/
Tech-Forums 1st 30K 3DMARK06

Intel Core i5 Lynnfield (Completed)
Prototype is offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 09:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 60
Default Re: Custom-Built Desktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prototype View Post
Graphics Card: Why Galaxy? What about EVGA, XFX, MSI & GIGABYTE?
HDD: What is RAID? I heard it has to be at least 2 hard drives and if one fails it will be backup in the other one.
RAM: Why 2GB if I am going with a 64-bit?
Optical Drives: I'll just use my PS3 to watch Blu-ray.
Processor: Which one should I get Q6600 or Q9450? What is the difference except it has a larger cache memory, 45nm, cost more & newer? maybe Q9450
Case: What ATX Full-Tower looks nice? i think rocketfish
Monitor: How many " should I get? i think 22"
.......
Area-51 is offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 10:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Biohazardous
 
nOcLuE98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,673
Default Re: Custom-Built Desktop

I am thinking that you should go into the hardware stickies index, and read there before you ask any questions. Like which PSU to buy, that is cleary gone over.

screen size is your choice, if you give us a size though, we can recommend some brands.
if you are going 64bit.. I guess 4gb memory is fine. depends on how much you want to spend
cpu-if you are going to OC, then get the q6600.
brand doesnt really matter with gpu, look for a good warranty and good price. the components come from the same place likely.
optical, one drive should be fine, what would you use two for? I dont even use my one, cept to burn cds.
hdd-if you dont know what raid is, go read up on it. and one should be fine. make sure to get a good one though. Like a 7200.11 500gig or so. great hdd, and for only about 115 bucks, its a steal.
__________________
http://www.conquestgraphics.com
nOcLuE98 is offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 10:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Hardware/VB.net/Anti-vir
 
StealthTools's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: TN - Intel, Samsung, and NVIDIA 4 EvR!
Posts: 515
Send a message via MSN to StealthTools
Default Re: Custom-Built Desktop

I would say if you didn't want to spend $1,000+ on a QX6700 (has unlocked multiplier for overclockers)

You need a Q6700.. it would be better for your 9 series graphics card than the Q6600 and it isn't all that more expensive..the Q6700 also overclocks fairly well.

AS for power supply I KNOW that one "9800GX2" graphics card takes 580w of power which means you need about a 1200w power supply for SLI.

Here is a link for a good CPU/MOBO combo at a cheap price:

CPU/MOBO LINK

I would go with 1200w to be safe with the 9 Series.. you don't want your PC to crash because your power supply can't keep up in an intense game..

AS for sound.. Get the Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Gamer FITALITY sound card it is VERY cheap now days and it is the best Sound Blaster has last I checked.

ALSO:

Search TigerDirect.com And go on YouTube and view TigerDirect's videos... they can answer any of your qoestions and more...PLUS... their prices whoops NewEgg's a*s
StealthTools is offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 10:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Prototype's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 1,276
Default Re: Custom-Built Desktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by nOcLuE98 View Post
I am thinking that you should go into the hardware stickies index, and read there before you ask any questions. Like which PSU to buy, that is cleary gone over. ok sorry ill go check it

screen size is your choice, if you give us a size though, we can recommend some brands. but i would like to know which resolution would be great on 9600GT SLI
if you are going 64bit.. I guess 4gb memory is fine. depends on how much you want to spend what kind of ram should i get that are DDR2 800
cpu-if you are going to OC, then get the q6600. isnt other one a better overclocker?
brand doesnt really matter with gpu, look for a good warranty and good price. the components come from the same place likely. who has the good warranty?
optical, one drive should be fine, what would you use two for? I dont even use my one, cept to burn cds.
hdd-if you dont know what raid is, go read up on it. and one should be fine. make sure to get a good one though. Like a 7200.11 500gig or so. great hdd, and for only about 115 bucks, its a steal. ok
thanks
__________________

__________________
Project [PROTOTYPE] | Intel Core i7 Bloomfield
i7 920 4.4GHz | XFX 5870 Crossfire 900/1300 Mhz | EVGA E760 Classified | Windows 7 Ultimate | Logitech G5 | Logitech G15 | Silverstone Raven RV02 | Corsair 850HX
WD 640GB Black | WD 320GB External | Megahalems | G.Skill 6GB 1866 9-9-9-21

http://www.techist.com/pc/f10/project-prototype-218619/
Tech-Forums 1st 30K 3DMARK06

Intel Core i5 Lynnfield (Completed)
Prototype is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wher is the best place to sell Custom built computer? Pain53 New Systems | Building and Buying 20 02-28-2008 07:44 AM
HELP! Desktop turns on and restarts repeatedly, other turns on to black screen cvocvo Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting 1 12-31-2007 01:21 AM
friends really bad log..needs some major help here. Static_11 HijackThis Logs (finished) 17 12-07-2007 09:44 AM
Intel Readies Desktop Penryn Models maroon1 New Systems | Building and Buying 2 08-30-2007 01:50 PM
Help:Perfect custom built computer ZeeLex New Systems | Building and Buying 17 04-05-2007 12:21 AM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.