Curious as to the difference between a good motherboard and a bad one - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 11:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Default Curious as to the difference between a good motherboard and a bad one

All I really know about the variations of motherboards is that they vary in shape and slot # and types. What makes a mobo good? I know some definitely are better than others because my friend's crysis game was all laggy when he had to put in his old mobo while getting his new one repaired.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Re: Curious as to the difference between a good motherboard and a bad one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druid View Post
All I really know about the variations of motherboards is that they vary in shape and slot # and types. What makes a mobo good? I know some definitely are better than others because my friend's crysis game was all laggy when he had to put in his old mobo while getting his new one repaired.
Well your friends lagginess could be explained by him swapping motherboards around - if he didnt re-install windows and everything he could have been getting conflicts which could cause that.

Anyway there are so many differences between motherboards - there is just so many out there. The differences in performance you get are often fairly minimal, maybe a few fps. What normally sets motherboards appart from others is ones that have proven to be very stable, overclock well, have a good physical layout, support alot of hardware, and have alot of features.