Cunjo's Official Savage Upgrade Thread (opinions wanted) - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 10:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via ICQ to Cunjo Send a message via Yahoo to Cunjo
Exclamation Re: Cunjo's Official Savage Upgrade Thread (opinions wanted)

Well, I got it working and imaged... seems it wouldn't boot -at all- without hanging until I disabled Acronis startups in safemode... after that though, it turns out the conflict was with Avast! Antivirus and/or ZoneAlarm firewall. after uninstalling both, Acronis installed without a hitch and I was able to image.

As of right now, though, I can't boot after restoring the image... leading up to this was a bit of a hassle:

My original 500GB array looked something like this:
[__C:_(SYSTEM)__|______________E:_(DATA)___________ _]

I used ycopy to copy the E: partition directly onto the new 1.5TB HDD.
Then I used Acronis True Image Home to make an Image of the C: partition and MBR.
This seems to have been my first mistake, because excluding E: from the image meant I couldn't restore the entire disk as one operation.

After Imaging it and installing XP onto an IDE HDD (temporarily) along with the necessary RAID and SATA drivers and Partition Magic, I cleared and rebuilt the array and attempted to restore the image onto it. Here begins to the point of no-return, where anything before this point can't be un-done.

I used Acronis first to restore the C: drive and MBR separately, using the original (default) setting of a Logical Partition for C:, then expanding the 100GB C: partition to 250GB in the process, and leaving the rest of the 1TB array unpartitioned... then I used Partition Magic to add a 500GB partition for expendable data and a 100GB partition for data to be backed up, while leaving 100GB unpartitioned to install Vista X64 onto later. In the end it looked like this:
[__C:_(SYSTEM)__|UNALLOC|G:_(DATA)|_______E:_(DATA) _______]

I went into the BIOS and set it to boot to the array again, and I get just a black screen with a blinking cursor.

I booted back into XP and deleted the two Data partitions I had made in PartitionMagic and tried it again, same result.

I booted from the XP install disk and loaded the RAID drivers from a floppy, then went into the recovery console to run FIXMBR, same result.

Now I seem to be stuck... I can't boot to the restored C: drive.

I DO NOT WANT to re-install Windows on that drive, since I have 99 gigs of custom installed and configured programs which would need upwards of 100 hours of tweaking to get them all back to the way they were when I started.

Is there something I'm doing wrong, or another way I can fix this, so I don't have to start all over again from the beginning?

Old 10-07-2008, 12:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default Re: Cunjo's Official Savage Upgrade Thread (opinions wanted)

This should fix you right up.

MBR corrupt or volume unbootable on RAID after restoring with Acronis True Image

Old 10-07-2008, 01:17 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via MSN to Akubane

just for a quick note on PSU's the 620HX would be fine.

I ran my gx2 on the 520, AND I ran my new 4870 X2 on the 520hx, before the 750 came in.

I got the 750, because it was cheaper than another 520 LOL.

C2D E8400 | Diamond 4870 X2 | Biostar Tpower I45 | 4GB G.Skill PK
Corsair 750TX | Xigmatek HDT-S1283 | CM Haf 932
2x Seagate 1TB 7200.11 | Asus Xonar D2X | LT Z-5500's
Razer Lycosa | Razer Lachesis | LG L245WP-BN 24" MVA LCD
Old 10-08-2008, 12:31 AM   #14 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akubane View Post
just for a quick note on PSU's the 620HX would be fine.

I ran my gx2 on the 520, AND I ran my new 4870 X2 on the 520hx, before the 750 came in.

I got the 750, because it was cheaper than another 520 LOL.

Is overclocking and ramping the voltage on the processor going to have a significant effect on the power supply requirements?

also, got it to boot again, so I'm back on track, thanks.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:37 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master Techie

not a 620hx, that thing will be fine and handle any o/c you throw at it.

I7 930 @ 4GHz : Noctua D-14
Gigabyte X58A-UD7 : Asus GTX 480
G.Skill Trident 1600MHz 6-8-7-18 : Samsung F3 1TB
OCZ Vertex 2 50GB : Silverstone RV02 Case
Silverstone Strider Plus 1Kw : Sony DRU-870s Optical
Samsung P2350 Monito
r

Old 10-08-2008, 09:08 PM   #16 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

well, with a particularily bad stroke of luck, I got a CMOS checksum error after unplugging the IDE HDD from the mainboard, and had to reset the BIOS.

Resetting the BIOS, apparently, DISSOLVED my RAID, making my computer unbootable again.

Additionally, the BIOS ceased to recognize the RAID capability, leaving me without the ability to rebuild and restore it.

less than an hour from packing it up and going home finished, and only a few hours until I don't have a choice and have to go home unfinished without the facilities to work on it, I'm at square 0.

PANIC MODE ENGAGE.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:05 PM   #17 (permalink)
The Bulldog

I hate RAID, I only use it in server environments. The redundancy and system support simply is not in place for consumer pc's. I recommend you just have a second hard drive where you back stuff up manually from now on.

ポップ・タルトが大好きです。
<<<<<<<Rep is always welcome
Ultimate Guitar exercises/ Songs for technique
Old 10-09-2008, 12:02 AM   #18 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Technically, that's what I've just done... I converted my RAID10 (striping/mirroring) to RAID0 (striping) to get twice the storage space and slightly better speed, and then installed a backup drive to replace the mirroring with nightly backups for data safety.

Good news is I got my BIOS working again, and the array was still there, just invisible... so I'm back on track.