CRT vs LCD? - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 05-06-2006, 09:49 AM   #21 (permalink)

CRTs are getting harder and harder to find, and I think they will die off completely once SED panels hit. For those who prefer to hang on to the CRT to the end, you have to realise how much better LCDs are getting. With 8ms, 4ms, and 2ms panels, it nearly eliminates ghosting in games. Also, you are starting to see 1400:1 and higher contrast ratios in LCDs, which will make for blacker blacks and whiter whites, a problem that has long plagued LCDs and one that is keeping the gamers hangin' on to CRTs.

Originally posted by Raphael Argus

In regards to the native resolution on LCDs, how bad does it look if you do adjust it below it's native?

My vid card is the 7900GT if that will make a difference, and trying to stay as close to the 19.8" viewable I have on my CRT as possible.
Most LCDs have a native resolution of 1280x1024 or higher. If the pixel pitch is above .264, you will get a washed out picture if you set it below the native resolution, basically it looks a lot like the image a Playstation 2 gives, even with today's latest games.

This is a problem because todays games are so demanding that even todays top cards can not expect much more than 1024x768 in these games if you want all the eye candy turned on. This is a problem for LCD users. This is one of the primary reasons for SLI, so people who are not satisfied with 1024x768 can run next-gen games at higher resolutions.

Old 05-06-2006, 01:55 PM   #22 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

LOL Well I was going to buy an LCD! I can't even make a decesion between white or wheat bread, so I guess I'll just stick with a CRT, at least I know what I'll get. Thanks for the help, and I appreciate the detailed info Biot3ch.

Q6600 @ 2.66
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
4GB XMS2 Corsair Ram
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Evga 275 GTX
500GB Seagate Sata 2 HDD
250GB Western SATA2 HDD
Corsair 850TX Power Supply
Cooler Master Centurion 5 case
Samsung 2693HM 26" LCD
Microsoft Keyboard
Logitech MX518 Mouse
Geek Squad 875VA Back-UP UPS
Windows XP SP3
Old 05-06-2006, 02:36 PM   #23 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via AIM to tehdigit

LCD's are REALLY expensive. just for a 19"
they arent as good as CRT's YET
that subject was covered by the general

i would just buy a 21" CRT for 1/4 the price
they arent a pain in the *** until it comes to getting rid of them
ive made a habit of keeping them in my basement
Nothing to It
Sponsored by Subway, Steel Series, XFire, Xsessive Hosting

Old 05-06-2006, 03:00 PM   #24 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I just got my new LCD Monitor and i have to say i love it. The quality of the screen is unmatched to my old 17" CRT. But it was also 7 years old, and wasnt a flatscreen. I guess if you're gonna get a crt i would definetly get a flatscreen monitor.
Originally Posted by Sylus View Post
Could have been worse, you could have been raped by a clown.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:50 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master Techie

Originally posted by john3
wow that viewsonic has some great reviews..........*sarcasm*

Some people on newegg know absolutley nothing...

I was reading reviews on a 512 MB video card *cant remember witch one* and he was saying "Good card, but I think we should all wait for 1024 MB cards this fall...they should be out very soon.."

Dont trust those reviews 100%...they can complete bull$hit..

May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face, and may the winds of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars
Closed Thread