CRT vs. LCD - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-20-2006, 09:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 107
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by gurusan
I have purchased 3 LCD screens in my life...never had 1 dead pixel. Also don't most companies have a guarantee against that?

Also the main reason is that I like widescreen. ...1280 x 768 looks just fine
Where did you buy from? They wouldn't let me send mine back... I have just had bad experience with them. I believe that if you can get one from a store that will check it when you buy it, and you find one with a good high res, go ahead and get it. I will say this though: Never buy one online. Even if they have a guarantee that will allow you te send it back, It still isnt worht the hassle.
__________________

__________________
You read my entire post, then read my sig? What tremendous effort! You win an internet!

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...rMessage-1.png

Here\'s a quote I saw once on a /b/ forum a while back, I think it\'s funny:

I\'ve been thinking of \"Heck\" lately. If it even exists, it\'s got to be a much nicer place than \"Heaven\". I mean... all the gay men are down there. You KNOW it\'s well decorated.

Note that I do not in any way condone homophobia or am in any way homophobic. I merely thought that it was clever.
Paul_Wall_117 is offline  
Old 08-20-2006, 10:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 5,280
Send a message via AIM to beedubaya
Default

I use an LCD because a CRT is not kind to my eyes. I do a lot of Internet and word processing on my PC as well as gaming, and the first two things I mentioned are tedious on my eyes with a CRT monitor.

CRTs do still have a slight edge in gaming though. They do respond faster, and most importantly, if a game gets too demanding, you can just lower the resolution and it will still look good. An LCD for gaming is an investment, because you do have to upgrade your video card more frequently to keep up with the native resolution.

LCDs are far easier on the eyes. CRT users don't realize it, but if you switch to an LCD for an extended period of time, then switch back to a CRT, you really notice the harmful radiation you may not have noticed before.

EDIT: One more thing, try to buy your LCD at a local retailer rather than newegg. It may be more expensive, but its a lot easier to return if you dont like it or it has dead pixels.
__________________

beedubaya is offline  
Old 08-20-2006, 10:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 24
Default

o ok well i also use a laptop and the screen for it is a LCD screen. But the backlite is flickerin. Is that the screen or the power? and would bestbuy have monitors?
ambush is offline  
Old 08-20-2006, 10:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 107
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by ambush
o ok well i also use a laptop and the screen for it is a LCD screen. But the backlite is flickerin. Is that the screen or the power? and would bestbuy have monitors?
Yes best buy has monitors. Check their website for their products (Bestbuy.com). Never go to best buy for anything else though, a monitor is the only PC part you can get there that will actually be worth the price.
__________________
You read my entire post, then read my sig? What tremendous effort! You win an internet!

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...rMessage-1.png

Here\'s a quote I saw once on a /b/ forum a while back, I think it\'s funny:

I\'ve been thinking of \"Heck\" lately. If it even exists, it\'s got to be a much nicer place than \"Heaven\". I mean... all the gay men are down there. You KNOW it\'s well decorated.

Note that I do not in any way condone homophobia or am in any way homophobic. I merely thought that it was clever.
Paul_Wall_117 is offline  
Old 08-20-2006, 11:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 24
Default

lol ok i will check up on it.
ambush is offline  
Old 08-20-2006, 11:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 50
Default

LCD are probably more healthy for you.

Definitely do check for dead pixels before buying one, as the other poster said. If a store won't let you do that, don't buy it.

Dead pixels can definitely be a major pain the butt with LCDs. Originally I bought a monitor with no dead pixels then after 3 months of usage it magically acquired a dead pixel. I got so annoyed by it that I got an RMA (at first they didn't want to RMA it for just one dead pixel, and most companies probably won't do it at all, but I was able to get one by pushing).

The tech replaced the panel with a new panel and when I got it back I realized there was another, smaller dead pixel on another part of the screen. Also I had the stock box replaced with a crappy looking box even though I was specifically told I'd get the same exact box back that I left with them.

Then I got a second RMA and this time they replaced the whole monitor with a refurbished one. As soon as I turned it on I noticed a light blue pixel in it which I was soon told was a "sub-pixel". That was even more annoying than the "dead pixels" the first two times!

I got a third RMA about the same thing. This time they sent me a brand new monitor from their office in the USA (I'm in Canada) and the box was really filthy when I got it but at least this one had no dead pixels or sub-pixels and has stayed that way for about 5 months of usage.

I'm dreading the day my LCD develops more dead pixels and I have to go through all that RMA nonsense again just to get it fixed.
Navaros is offline  
Old 08-21-2006, 12:09 AM   #17 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,946
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Navaros
LCD are probably more healthy for you.

Definitely do check for dead pixels before buying one, as the other poster said. If a store won't let you do that, don't buy it.

Dead pixels can definitely be a major pain the butt with LCDs. Originally I bought a monitor with no dead pixels then after 3 months of usage it magically acquired a dead pixel. I got so annoyed by it that I got an RMA (at first they didn't want to RMA it for just one dead pixel, and most companies probably won't do it at all, but I was able to get one by pushing).

The tech replaced the panel with a new panel and when I got it back I realized there was another, smaller dead pixel on another part of the screen. Also I had the stock box replaced with a crappy looking box even though I was specifically told I'd get the same exact box back that I left with them.

Then I got a second RMA and this time they replaced the whole monitor with a refurbished one. As soon as I turned it on I noticed a light blue pixel in it which I was soon told was a "sub-pixel". That was even more annoying than the "dead pixels" the first two times!

I got a third RMA about the same thing. This time they sent me a brand new monitor from their office in the USA (I'm in Canada) and the box was really filthy when I got it but at least this one had no dead pixels or sub-pixels and has stayed that way for about 5 months of usage.

I'm dreading the day my LCD develops more dead pixels and I have to go through all that RMA nonsense again just to get it fixed.
What exact monitor do you have?
__________________
LIAN LI PC-7B PLUS II
OCZ MODSTREAM 520W
P4 3.2
2GB KINGSTON
EVGA 6800GS PCI-E
ASUS P5GD1
WD CAVIAR X2
LG DVD BURNER X2
vaderpro is offline  
Old 08-21-2006, 12:22 AM   #18 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
KingAustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Iowa
Posts: 673
Send a message via AIM to KingAustin
Default

Don't listen to paul wall. LCD's are way better than CRT's. If you get a dead pixel, there are ways to fix them. I'm running dual 19" LCD's, one from BENQ and the other from Tyris. I love them both. You dont have to worry about ghosting if you get 8ms or under monitors. Here is the Tyris one I purchased, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824224008

I highly recommend it.
__________________
E6300 w/ AF7 Pro 3.11ghz
Gigabyte DS3
2GB G.Skill DDR2 800
7900GT w/ Zalman vf900 650/800
Z-5500 Digital Speakers
22" Chimei + 19" BENQ
XClio 3060
KingAustin is offline  
Old 08-21-2006, 12:30 AM   #19 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 107
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by KingAustin
Don't listen to paul wall. LCD's are way better than CRT's. If you get a dead pixel, there are ways to fix them. I'm running dual 19" LCD's, one from BENQ and the other from Tyris. I love them both. You dont have to worry about ghosting if you get 8ms or under monitors. Here is the Tyris one I purchased, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824224008

I highly recommend it.
You might want to read the reveiws on that particular monitor, they are quite bad. I still say that it is alot better to buy one in a store that will check for smudges and dead pixels, because more often than not, tech support is a joke, and it is always better to simply be able to take it back to the store than to have to deal with ****ty customer service.

I never said that one or the other was better, I simply pointed out the bad experience I had with LCD's, and my personnal preference for CRT's. Like I said before, if you get a good res and good response time and a store that will check it before you buy it and allow you to take it back, by all means, get an LCD.
__________________
You read my entire post, then read my sig? What tremendous effort! You win an internet!

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...rMessage-1.png

Here\'s a quote I saw once on a /b/ forum a while back, I think it\'s funny:

I\'ve been thinking of \"Heck\" lately. If it even exists, it\'s got to be a much nicer place than \"Heaven\". I mean... all the gay men are down there. You KNOW it\'s well decorated.

Note that I do not in any way condone homophobia or am in any way homophobic. I merely thought that it was clever.
Paul_Wall_117 is offline  
Old 08-21-2006, 12:40 AM   #20 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
KingAustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Iowa
Posts: 673
Send a message via AIM to KingAustin
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul_Wall_117
You might want to read the reveiws on that particular monitor, they are quite bad. I still say that it is alot better to buy one in a store that will check for smudges and dead pixels, because more often than not, tech support is a joke, and it is always better to simply be able to take it back to the store than to have to deal with ****ty customer service.

I never said that one or the other was better, I simply pointed out the bad experience I had with LCD's, and my personnal preference for CRT's. Like I said before, if you get a good res and good response time and a store that will check it before you buy it and allow you to take it back, by all means, get an LCD.
A few things about your post

1)I own the ****ing monitor, so dont tell me to read the reviews. It is absolutely amazing and the price is astounding.

2)It has a 5/5 egg rating on newegg, so I dont know what reviews you were reading. I wouldnt ever take any advice from you on this forum. You're new to the computer scene, your previous posts make it obvious and the advice you've tried to give already is bad.

3)Buying LCD's from a store isnt that great of an idea, they charge way too much. Newegg is a great company, but if you have a trust issue, then dont buy anything online.

So, in conclusion, buy an LCD, save desktop space, save electricity, save yourself from a hot room caused by the CRT, and dont listen to paul wall.
__________________

__________________
E6300 w/ AF7 Pro 3.11ghz
Gigabyte DS3
2GB G.Skill DDR2 800
7900GT w/ Zalman vf900 650/800
Z-5500 Digital Speakers
22" Chimei + 19" BENQ
XClio 3060
KingAustin is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.