CRT Monitor Refresh Rates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyr

In Runtime
If a monitor has a 60Hz refresh rate, does that mean it can display a game at 60fps? If not please explain how a monitor's refresh rate relates to frames per second.

i don't think there is any direct translation but if you can get 60hz refresh rates then you should be able to run any FPS that your GFX card can hold almost garunteed. I have never heard of a CRT slowing down FPS before. You want high hz because its easier on your eyes though.

When it says that a monitor has a refresh rate of like 55Hz-85Hz what does that mean? Does that mean that it will display an image at 85Hz so long as the graphics card can keep up or what?

There is a direct relationship between the two, the refresh rate refers to how many times your screen refreshes per second, therefore 60hertz would refresh the screen 60 times a second and therefore you will only get a max of 60FPS in games, regardless of how many FPS your GPU is rendering

I see. Is it true that anything over 60FPS is unperceivable to the human eye? In other words, is it true that it is impossible to tell the difference between 70Hz and 100Hz?

Well for me personally text is a lot sharper going from 60Hz to 100Hz...but as for detecting a difference, I can't see a difference once I get over 30FPS in games and even in the 20s it's still playable IMO...many people argue otherwise but I personally don't think you'll see much of a difference once you find the "smoothspot"

Kitire said:
The human eye can see more than 200FPS. I am too tired to google right now.

Hrm actualy you cant answer that question with a simple number. Its a range. i dont no what but its differnt yea. google it

Tyr said:
that may be true but can you really tell the difference between 120Hz and 200Hz? I would think not.

The monitor I'm considering can display 1024x768 @ 87Hz so that should be good right?

Yea that should be good.

You can tell a differnce between 20-40hz but i dont th ink you would be able to tell between 90-800

See what i mean? yea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom