Crossfire Vs. SLI

Status
Not open for further replies.
PZEROFGH said:
the 7800GTX doesnt work very well cause most games wont work cause the 7800GTX gives to much power

I think what he is trying to say is commonly known as CPUs bottlenecking system performance. The CPU apparently can't keep up with gfx cards nowaday due ot intense physics calculations.

There is some company that is going to release a physics card add-on that will take the load of CPUS. I don't remember what it is called but reading about it was really interesting. One of the features was simulating clothing meaning that someone's sleeve would actually be able to move independently of the person, etc etc etc. I can't wait to see it.

yeah i read that to, different mag tho.

The company makeing this is Ageia there calling the Ageia PPU (Physics Processing Unit)

wont be out for a little while tho, its still in beta stages.

How much will a damn 'PPU' cost? lol. If a normal processor cant handle the physics then that means it needs a bigger proc, so will this 'PPU' be beefier then say an AMD Fx-57 or something and cost 1000 bucks? Or will it be like another smaller processor that just helps your CPU and dosnt completely take over in games? Well if you guys have a link to the PPU you should deffinately poste it, i would like to read about it. In a way it would be cool to see games run on seperate a seperate processor then when your not gameing, like once you launch a game your just running on your graphics card, a dedicated gameing processor, like the PPU or something, and then just let games use the system RAM since it shouldnt in use by any other hardcore programs since your in a game. Part of what makes you need such a killer system for games is all the stuff that the system is running in the background like windows and antivirus software and anything else you leave running like mouse control software and gamepad/joystick software, all that stuff adds up and hurts game performance, and system performance in general when trying to run anything intensive. It would be cool to see game makers creat the games so that when you launch the game, the system will shut down anything that it dosnt need running to play the game. It would make posible to get better performance in games with less computing power because the computer could just focus on one real task. Ok ill shut up I gues im starting to wander off topic a little. :)

sanitystealer said:
Is crossfire worth waiting for?
that depends more on the cards themselves and how well they work.
Originally posted by sanitystealer
Is the r580 or whatever worth waiting for?
we won't know that until it gets released and see benchmarks

Originally posted by PZEROFGH
the 7800GTX doesnt work very well cause most games wont work cause the 7800GTX gives to much power
Originally posted by DJ-CHRIS
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
yeah, Romeo Oscar Foxtrot Lima

That quote regarding 1 7800GTX running as well as, or better than 2 6800GTs in SLI came from the mag Computer Power User (CPU). It was I think in Anand's column. So yeah, that was a valid statement... At least according to those guys.

apokalipse said:
sometimes it does, sometimes it is only about 1.5 times a single 6800, or sometimes (due to bottlenecks) it will be equal. depends on the situation

What he said. In some fps benchmarks of Half Life 2, the single 6600GT performed better than 2 6800Ultras, in SLI ofcourse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom