Crossfire Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
The extra memory will only make a difference at a higher resolution. 2 512meg cards already gives yo u1gig effective which is fine for all but the highest resolutions. And you will save cash with the 512meg cards

thanks zmatt for clearing that up :) i knew it was something like that..

and yeah, what about this.. when you get the money to think about buying a second card, sell your primary for a bit and put it towards a good card ;)

The extra memory will only make a difference at a higher resolution. 2 512meg cards already gives yo u1gig effective which is fine for all but the highest resolutions. And you will save cash with the 512meg cards

it really depends what kinda games your playing... if you were playing say... enthusiast/very high on Crysis/Warhead or FC2 at Ultra w/ 4xAA, at a res of 1680x1050 (which isnt uncommon... apparently the most common is 16x12) you'll be looking at the use of at least 1.2gigs of framebuffer (about 1.3 for FC2)... but really, in any normal situation (i mean, how many of us play on very high and expect Crysis to be playable???) 1 gig should be enough but more framebuffer does almost always help a little bit (maybe not very much), so i would try to maximise your VRAM and still keep the price as low a possible

these look good for 4670s -> Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100256L Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Something else you have to take into consideration is the mem interface on that card. 128bit GDDR 3 is not fast. I you are processing 2 gigs worth of framebuffer then you will have a problem. Its just not strong enough. It would need to be 512bit GDDR3 or 256bit GDDR5 to see a real benefit. Otherwise you may hurt your performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom