Crossfire MOBO with PCIe & AGP???

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAVOC

Fully Optimized
I was talking last night with a friend of mine whom is yet another techie. Although he does have a vast amount of knowledge in the computer field, I can never really believe the things he says.

So, he was telling me that there will be a new type of MOBO built for both AMD 939's and Intel 775's. It will be a MOBO with the Crossfire chipset. It will come with (1) PCIe 16x slot and (1) AGP 8x slot. The BIOS has options to alternate usage between the two or with a Crossfire ATI PCIe card you can run it with a 800XT - 850XT AGP card in crossfire.

He had said, "He forgot the companies name whom is producing the MOBO and didn't know when it was going to be available."
This is way I can't really believe him. The though of this type of MOBO does make a lot of sense though. Those of us with a current 800XT - 850XT AGP card whom are happy with it but would like to one day go crossfire, would be able to upgrade just the MOBO and (1) PCIe card... I know this would be nice for my situation. But well see..

My reason for writing this is because instead of listening to (1) person telling me this, I wanted to ask any of you if you have heard anything remotely close to this? I found an article that talked about this type of MOBO but wasn't really talking about crossfire. HERE: http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20050811/index.html

Crossfire is the bridging of two compatible ATI PCI-E gfx cards, on a compatible mobo/chipset, just like nVidia SLI. Thus requiring two PCI-E slots. I believe there are (non-SLI/XFIRE) mobos which support (1) PCI-E 16x and (1) AGP 8x, but I've also heard they aren't up to much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom