Crossfire

Status
Not open for further replies.

damasta55r

In Runtime
I know the X800 and X850 require special edition cross-fire cards and motherboard to run crossfire. So let's say you have an x800 or x850 current card, you would need to buy a crossfire motherboard and a special-edition crossfire version (x800 or x850 respectively). But if i were to get a new x1000series ati card, which are cross-fire capable. Would i need to get a special edition of the ati x1000s specifically for crossfire or can i use 2x x1800xls with a crossfire motherooard. X1800Xls are avilable now and crossfire motherboards are aviable in the U.K. But there are no new crossfire edition cards for the x1000series? So my question is since the older cards(X8xx) were not designed for crossfire, is that why they need the special edition card. And the new x1000s are designed for crossfire and already cross-fire ready don't need the special cards, but just identical cards and a crossfire motherboard? Thnx for any reply. Not sure if i was supposed to post this in the G70/Ati comparison. I think that thread is kind of long with 111 posts.

Roger

well, IMO crossfire is a disaster and shouldn't exist becuase of this confusion. but the new generatioin is like the old generation in the sense that you need a crossfire master card in order for it to work. so theoreticly, as long as you have a crossfire master card, weather it be an X800 or a X1800 and you put another ATI card in it, your OK. ATI did such a half-assed job on their crossfire set up that its not even worth it. just do Nvidia's SLI. its cleaner, and it will work with any PCI express Nvidia cards. eg. 2x 6800's or 2x 6600's.

No their not :) The card is crossfire ready. Meaning, it is ready to be used with a crossfire master card, but it itself is not the master card. If you wish to debate this further, go ahead and order two of them and let me know how they work in crossfire.

F6Hawk said:
From your link, lower right side:

Purchase a Xfire READY gfx card, register with ATI, and get $100 off the purchase of a Xfire edition card.

Yet another reason to stay with nVidia!

HERE, HERE!!!

Okay. Thnx for the clarification. I don't like the fact you need a stupid crossfire edition card. Those cards can't be used by themselves (which basically makes the crossfire edition cards useless as an extra pci-express card for a future build or something), whereas for nvidia you can get 2 x 6800gts, both being operational by themselves.

ROger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom