CRM or MS 365?

dynamo123

Solid State Member
Currently I'm looking to have an IT overhaul. What's required is to set up one set of files/data that will be accessible to all members of the team, regardless of where they are working from. So, something like a central server where everyone can gain access to the shared information at any time from any given computer.

I suspect a cloud, online based server would be the most ideal however I'm trying to figure out whether to go for a CRM system or just go with Microsoft 365? Would Microsoft 365 have the ability to create a central server, as mentioned above? I realise a CRM system is the most convenient option in that everything is set up for you but it is expensive.

The most important element of the overhaul is the ability to share and gain access to data/information by any given individual. Website integration etc. is not a priority.
I would like to receive some feedback on what you think might be the best option here.
Thanks

Lacking a bit of information. What kind of data? Do they need other software involved? Does this data require something like Onenote or is it just files? Is this data proprietary or need to be secured? What you're explaining sounds like it could be taken care of by something as simple as OneDrive or Google Drive.

Lacking a bit of information. What kind of data? Do they need other software involved? Does this data require something like Onenote or is it just files? Is this data proprietary or need to be secured? What you're explaining sounds like it could be taken care of by something as simple as OneDrive or Google Drive.

Hi thanks for the response. I think you're right, maybe a simple sharing service like one drive would be sufficient. So what I mean specifically are Excel spreadsheets for example of members details like contact numbers, email addresses etc. Right now these spreadsheets and information is only present on one computer in the office. I've just tried OneDrive, are the documents saved on here saved in real time? So we can all have access to it but when I try and open some of the docs, it saving a copy every time I click save?

Also one other thing - only one person has access to the mailbox email address on Outlook. We all need access to it, how do I go about getting this so we all have access to the mailbox?

Things like spreadsheets would only be able to be accessed one at a time and saved one at a time. That is unless Microsoft addressed this in a recent version of Office (like 2016 or 365)and I'm unaware of it. If all you're saving are details like that and not using the spreadsheets for other data a better program to use would be Onenote. This allows real time data viewing and saving, and is actually what we use at my job for a lot of info. Separate notes could be used for different information, viewed, and edited in real time from one source. This could be local or online.

I'm not quite sure what you mean about the email.

I think it is possible just using a standard sharing online storage site. So I've started using Google drive, One Drive, Drop box for saving files and spreadsheets. However I'm having issues with both excel spreadsheet files and MS Access files. Firstly when I open and edit Excel files, Google, one drive, drop box, they all seem to save additional copies every time. Why is this? How can I get it to simply over-write the file I'm working on so there's only one document each time?
Also once I upload an MS Access file, each time I click on it, it saves a copy on my hard drive. Why is this and how can I get around it?

My best guess is going to be a limitation in the software preventing it from working with online files but I'm not sure. All of my experience enterprise or otherwise utilizing Office is all local or over VPN (which is still technically "local"). Without knowing exactly what kind of data is being used besides telephony and what kind of specific setup your company is doing it's hard for me to pinpoint exactly what to tell you. From what you're saying it sounds like Office just does not like having an online storage for any of their software. What version of Office are you using? Have you considered using Google Docs and the other apps associated with Google Drive?

Back
Top Bottom