Critique my Gaming Computer build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

abunchofnumbers

Beta member
It has been a while since IÂ’ve built computers. I havenÂ’t kept up with all the up to date technology. I need to some advice on a good gaming computer to play Dark Age of Camelot, World of Warcraft, Battlefield 2, Counter-strike source etcÂ… I want to be able to play them w/no lag what so ever. I donÂ’t need a super computer, just something that can enable me to play those effectively.

This is what IÂ’ve come up with from reading different post and looking at newegg.com. Help me out here.
Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz 2M sharing L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor -
• ($182)
-Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-965G-DS3 Socket T (LGA 775) Intel G965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard
• ($152)
Memory (options)
1. Patriot Signature Series 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300)
• ($200)
2. 1. Patriot 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
• ($300)

Someone please help me out. Is it worth an extra 100 bucks to go from 667 to 800? ThatÂ’s the only main difference I can see between the two.
Video Card - XFX PVT73GUGE3 GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
• ($150) x 2 = ($300)
Thinking about running (2) of these cards with SLI. Yes, No, Maybe? Would it even help me?
Hard-drive - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200KS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
• ($99)
Optical Drives - Lite-on Dvd-rw
• ($35)
Sound - (Optional) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic 7.1 Channels 25-bit 96KHz Channels 24-bit 96KHz
• ($95)
Case - RAIDMAX Sagitta ATX-921WBP Black/Silver SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450watt PRESCOTT/ SATA Ready Power Supply - Retail
• ($79)

This is pushing my budget, I'd like to spend alittle less if possible.

i can tell you not to waste your money with SLI. that money would be better spent just buying a better card. look into the 7900gs. it's not much more but it's alot better than the 7600gt IIRC.

i'm not going to do the dirty work, but you should be able to find a quality motherboard for cheaper.

also do you already have a 7.1 speaker system? if not, you could probably go with a cheaper soundcard with 5.1 that would sound as good if not better. a cheaper and better 7.1 card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829102011

there will be some more suggestions shortly i'm sure....

i suggest the x-fi if you have good speakers... such as z-5500's or z-5300e's... the x-fi literally double my bass and treble clarity.... so if you got good speakers.. IMO, the x-fi is a must

I agree w/ molsen, u'd get better performance from any 7900GT/GS than SLI'd 7600's plus its super easy to volt mod the 7900 to get it to overclock faster than... well... alot of stuff

oh, yeah, u'd like the ddr2 800 better if you plan on overclocking.. it will let you go way higher

wait for dx10, or sli the 7900 if you want to(you can always buy 1 card now the other later), SLI works better at higher resolutions ,or get a X1950XXXXXXXXXX or whatever its called

stick with 1 7600 until both dx10 cards come out then upgrade.

if your not an overclocker then stick with drr2 667

NosBoost300 said:
i suggest the x-fi if you have good speakers... such as z-5500's or z-5300e's... the x-fi literally double my bass and treble clarity.... so if you got good speakers.. IMO, the x-fi is a must

i must disagree. if you have good speakers, you don't need any gimmicky "enhancements." all it does is boost bass and treble and ruins the balance and relatively flat response of good speakers. lots of treble and bass does not equal clarity.

also, it has been documented (google it) that the treble enhancement leads to excessive listening fatigue. while creative claims it can reduce fatigue, it rarely does so.

-edit- here's a site that shows the effects the crystalizer has on music. notice the dip in midrange in the first graph and the huge amount of distortion introduced in the second graph. http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q4/soundblaster-x-fi/index.x?pg=3.
later, in the listening tests, the listeners favor the crystalizer at first only because it's 3db louder. when the volume levels are made the same, the non-crystalized audio is preferred.

I have that 7600GT your talking about im pretty sure that card alone can run the games you want without no lag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom