Critique My First Build! (Thoughts?) (Will Buy Soon) - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-24-2012, 09:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
TheRoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Eastern USA
Posts: 29
Default Re: Critique My First Build! (Thoughts?) (Will Buy Soon)

As far as the i5 CPU goes... That's a for sure no.
I do a ton of video editing/encoding/flash generating and multitasking.
The x4core 3.6 fx is simply much better for my general needs.

I'll be gaming 30% of the time, with the other 70% video editing, working, etc etc.
__________________

TheRoo is offline  
Old 01-24-2012, 11:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
GhOsT1321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 804
Default Re: Critique My First Build! (Thoughts?) (Will Buy Soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoo View Post
As far as the i5 CPU goes... That's a for sure no.
I do a ton of video editing/encoding/flash generating and multitasking.
The x4core 3.6 fx is simply much better for my general needs.

I'll be gaming 30% of the time, with the other 70% video editing, working, etc etc.
I wouldn't be so sure on that.
The i5 at 2.8Ghz outperforms the 4100fx at 3.6Ghz. Not all CPUs are created equally. Ghz no longer is the only factor for speed.
PassMark Intel vs AMD CPU Benchmarks - High End
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?...00+%40+2.80GHz
vs
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?...4100+Quad-Core


In general, bulldozer isn't bad, but it was over-hyped and was a let down. Last I read it performed up to 7% faster than it's previous phenom counter part. In some cases, it actually trailed behind. For now, Intel is ahead.

Regarding you being partial to ATI/AMD video cards.
The 6950 and the 560 Ti trade blows from benchmark to benchmark. They are essentially equivalent.
This would likely be a very nice overclocker sue to the Twin Frozr 3 cooler on it.
Newegg.com - MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III 1G/OC Radeon HD 6950 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
__________________

__________________
Build to be updated, a reminder to myself.
GhOsT1321 is offline  
Old 01-24-2012, 11:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
I don't overclock
 
Fat.Clown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: offline
Posts: 3,326
Default Re: Critique My First Build! (Thoughts?) (Will Buy Soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoo View Post
As far as the i5 CPU goes... That's a for sure no.
I do a ton of video editing/encoding/flash generating and multitasking.
The x4core 3.6 fx is simply much better for my general needs.

I'll be gaming 30% of the time, with the other 70% video editing, working, etc etc.
H. 264 2500k vs Fx 4100 - 2500k is 50% faster.
AMD FX-4100 Quad Core 3.6GHz Bulldozer Processor Review - x264 HD Encoding - Legit Reviews
AMD FX 8150 - 8120 - 6100 and 4100 performance review
[Phoronix] AMD FX-4100 Bulldozer Review
AMD FX-8120, AMD FX-6100 and AMD FX-4100 CPUs Review. Page 7 - X-bit labs

Handbrake - 2500k is roughly 40% faster.
AMD FX-4100 Quad Core 3.6GHz Bulldozer Processor Review - Handbrake - Legit Reviews

mediashow expresso - 2500k 30% faster.
AMD FX 8150 - 8120 - 6100 and 4100 performance review


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Newegg.com - Rosewill CHALLENGER-U3 Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ,comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, front mounted dual USB 3.0

Newegg.com - HITACHI HDS721050CLA362 (0F10381) 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Newegg.com - OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandybridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

Newegg.com - ASUS P8Z68-V LE LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - Operating Systems

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

Subtotal: $862.92
EMCNJHF28 Discount From Promo Code -$10.00
EMCNJHF32 Discount From Promo Code -$10.00
EMCNJHF46 Discount From Promo Code -$10.00
Grand Total: $845.37


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't have the know how?

bonus:


don't have the tools?
all you need is a Phillips screwdriver. (and maybe a anti static wristband.)


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pros:
  • 8 gigs of memory - will benefit you a lot for video editing.
  • faster processor - less rendering time, better gaming performance, and power savings.
  • free dirt 3 game.
  • free corel editing software.
  • better power supply
  • better case
  • the know how of building your own pc - easily fix anything if **** goes wrong, instead of paying for technical support down the road.
  • knowing you are more capable than a monkey.
con:
  • you are a klutz and ****s up installation - wasted hundred of dollars.
  • knowing a monkey is more capable.
Fat.Clown is offline  
Old 01-27-2012, 11:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: N/A
Posts: 83
Default Re: Critique My First Build! (Thoughts?) (Will Buy Soon)

The radeon 6950 is practically the same speed wise as a 560ti. And same price roughly as well. Other than that I +1 Ghost's build.
I_Am_Skip is offline  
Old 01-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
MindoverMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: /home
Posts: 12,212
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Critique My First Build! (Thoughts?) (Will Buy Soon)

Oops, wrong thread, sorry.
__________________
Neowin.net Steam Account
MindoverMaster is offline  
Old 01-28-2012, 09:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: N/A
Posts: 83
Default Re: Critique My First Build! (Thoughts?) (Will Buy Soon)

Yes, I meant the 560ti haha, typo whoops
I_Am_Skip is offline  
Old 01-28-2012, 10:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
tj_extreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
Posts: 812
Default Re: Critique My First Build! (Thoughts?) (Will Buy Soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoo View Post
Here's what I've decided on, it's putting a strain on my computer budget, so I can't afford any more "upgrades" without taking away from something else. I'm buying from CyberPowerPC.com.
Anywhere you see I can save money, and still get great gaming/video editing performance?
Anywhere that's almost necessary to upgrade?
Thoughts?
  • Tower/Case (includes Blue Neon Lights, Temp Gauge, Fan Speed Gauge, and VU Gauge): ~85.00

    Case Dimensions (Image Link)
  • CPU: ~$109
    AMD FX-4100 3.60 GHz Quad-Core AM3+ CPU 4MB L2 Cache
  • MOTHERBOARD: ~$70.00
    [CrossFireX] MSI 970A-G45 AMD 970 Socket AM3+ ATX Mainboard w/ OC Genie II, Winki 3, 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe X16, 2 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI
  • RAM/MEMORY: ~$25.00
    4GB (2GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory
  • VIDEO CARD/GPU: ~175.00
    AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe
  • POWER SUPPLY: ~80.00
    700 Watts - XtremeGear SLI/CrossFireX Ready Power Supply
  • HARDDRIVE: ~125.00
    500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD

+ Fee for building and shipping over the internet.
(I don't have the tools or the know-how to build it myself.)


Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. I'm no expert on building computers, so any input about what I could save money on, or what I NEED to upgrade would be fantastic!

Current Approx. Price, Including all fees and shipping:
~$850.00
Just an FYI, that case is garbage, and way overpriced.
__________________
tj_extreme is offline  
Old 01-29-2012, 02:58 AM   #18 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: N/A
Posts: 83
Default Re: Critique My First Build! (Thoughts?) (Will Buy Soon)

That case is just plain ugly honestly haha.
I_Am_Skip is offline  
Old 01-30-2012, 08:06 AM   #19 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
tj_extreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
Posts: 812
Default Re: Critique My First Build! (Thoughts?) (Will Buy Soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoo View Post
As far as the i5 CPU goes... That's a for sure no.
I do a ton of video editing/encoding/flash generating and multitasking.
The x4core 3.6 fx is simply much better for my general needs.

I'll be gaming 30% of the time, with the other 70% video editing, working, etc etc.
I don't know where you get your info, but the i5 is a hell of a lot "faster" than the Bulldozer.


Quote:
Originally Posted by GhOsT1321 View Post
In general, bulldozer isn't bad, but it was over-hyped and was a let down. For now, Intel is ahead.
Face it, Bullzoder is pretty bad. "In some cases, it trails behind Phenom". Intel is so far ahead now, it's not even funny.
__________________
tj_extreme is offline  
Old 01-30-2012, 01:22 PM   #20 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
GhOsT1321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 804
Default Re: Critique My First Build! (Thoughts?) (Will Buy Soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj_extreme View Post
Face it, Bullzoder is pretty bad. "In some cases, it trails behind Phenom". Intel is so far ahead now, it's not even funny.
Bulldozer is pretty dissappointing. AMD does have a bit of catching up to do. I hope that the fix for bulldozer universally improves all bulldozer systems.
AMD needs to improve it's processing performance, otherwise Intel will not have any competiton...
__________________

__________________
Build to be updated, a reminder to myself.
GhOsT1321 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New PC, Critique Build tzvii New Systems | Building and Buying 2 05-10-2011 07:58 PM
Need PC build, purchasing in less than 2 weeks! madeye New Systems | Building and Buying 1 04-26-2010 08:34 PM
Critique my build... Techno05 New Systems | Building and Buying 5 12-19-2009 04:50 PM
Critique My Build :-) Vaanish New Systems | Building and Buying 21 05-20-2007 10:24 AM
Ok, build critique COD2_fanatic System Upgrades 4 04-01-2007 01:16 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.