Criticize my workstation build

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are running multiple spreadsheets in excel in real time, you will probably need more computing power. Plus I would go with a mission critical system to avoid errors when it doing the millions of iterations. You don't want to get wrong signals based on calculation errors. PS are you a day trader?

good luck trying to get any operating system to recognize a 6lcd spread, even on 2 gpus.....ppl have trouble with 3 let alone 6

ehh ppl have doing that since windows 2000, shouldn't be too hard to figure it out.

and the usally most motherboards with 2x PCI-E is sli ready... but i think the last time i checked no work station software yet benefiets from SLI.

Sorry for the slow response. I haven't received the e-mail alerts I requested.

According to NVidia support, you do NOT need SLi to run 2 NVS 440's. Just two PCI x16 slots. For those who care, the drivers for Vista do not support many of the cards best features. The XP drivers support the full feature set. Details can be found in the driver release notes.

I plan to use Vista, believing it easier to upgrade graphics drivers rather than an entire OS.

Three 120mm fans are standard in that case. That isn't enough?

RAID? I'm clueless, but go ahead and explain it. Maybe you can sell me on the idea. It was suggested I get a second hard drive and have it mirror the first.

All throughout the investment community, people have computers with 4+ LCD's. I've seen up to 8. I selected the Quadro NVS 440's because they are targeted at this market (the front of the box depicts a stock chart inside the crystal ball). For multi-monitor support, Vista requires that the two graphics card each use the same driver. Disregard that rule, and a multitude of bad things happen. Two identical graphics cards, 6 identical monitors. I'll see how it goes.

While multiple monitors are not simple to configure, it is not an impossible task. Asking questions in forums such as this one help identify potential trouble spots ahead of time.

Does anyone have any insight on the 3GB -vs- 4GB of RAM in a 32 bit OS. I believe the issue has something to do with the way memory is addressed. I've read some of the technical explanations elsewhere on the web, but I can't follow them. All I want to know is: Am I wasting $ buying that last GB of RAM? Would 3GB (2x1GB, 2x512MB) be better?

Finally, I'm not a daytrader by trade, but I take advantage of whatever opportunities the market presents to me. Sometimes they happen intra-day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom