Crack a password in 12 seconds -thought Id share

Status
Not open for further replies.

scraff

Beta member
Thought yall might find this interesting. Just read that:

"tests using an Nvidia Geforce GT220 graphics card, which can be bought for £30 at some retailers, on a Windows 7 machine. It found that its security staff were able to crack an eight character password in four hours, a seven character password in five minutes and a six character password in just 12 seconds.UKFast found that these cheap graphics card could process as much as 158 million possible passwords per second, putting previously complex and relatively unbreakable passwords at risk of being cracked by the sheer volume of potential combinations available over a short period of time.
For cyber criminals with more money at their fingertips, a top end graphics card costing £600 can process 10.3 billion possible password combinations per second, truly endangering password security."

Indeed interesting. My 560Ti should be very handy when I get to the hashes part of my Ethical Hacking course :D

Yeah and that was with just a £30 GPU...ofcourse im not encouraging hacking :p just shows passwords arent safe even with home tech these days.

Or, any of the online cloud solutions like Amazon's A3 (I think that's what it's called?)

There is a reason for lockouts after so many failed attempts, for 10+ years companies have had such lockouts in place because 10 years ago a PC very easily could brute force an account.

Its moire about offline cracking.

This has been know for awhile, and the ps3/xbox had concern for a while too.

You could easily comprimise say 100 computes, tiny botnet, and hope they have nvidia cards,, or amd to an extent, and breakup a dictionary crack up and be lickity slipt

ATi have actually improved greatly, you can usually get 6000M/s MD5 hashes on a 5870, depending on the program. Not sure for figures on more recent Nvidia cards but a CUDA-enabled program on a GTX260 216SP gets about 550M/s.

Even a local crack is almost useless now in days.
Elaborate?

Disclaimer: I'm only a week into my Ethical hacking course :p While I do try to keep apprised of these things there are large gaps in my knowledge and experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom