CPUs and PC Enthusiasts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackmoore

Daemon Poster
This may sound like a dumb question, but can someone explain to me what PC Enthusiast hardware is? Especially when it comes to CPU's, and maybe give me a few examples of what people consider currently to be enthusiast chips?

I only heard the term a few days ago watching a review for the new i7 2600 chips and they mentioned that these new chips were performance chips and that the PC enthusiast would be disappointed and should stick with the current chip lineup until new chips are released at the end of the year. Is there something wrong with the i7 2600 or are the just saying the guy who has $1000 to blow on a new CPU every year would certainly be disappointed?

Enthusiast is the best of the best, no matter the price.

If there is a model below thats 90% the performance but the price is half. A enthusiast would go for the 10% more lol

Sandy Bridge is 1155, and is considered Mainstream / Gamer stuff imo.

they are saying to wait till the end of the year (Q3) Just because at the end of the year the Enthusiast stuff is coming out ( LGA 2011, Quad CH. Ram. 40 PCI-e Lanes etc etc )

1155 is still awesome in its own. And most of the people saying its not as good as the current line up....Just bought a i7 950 and are regretting buying

But yes, the current "Enthusiast chip" would still be considered the Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Edition, but at $1,049.99 its stupidly overpriced... i would take a 2600k any day

A true enthusiast would jump on the 2600K for now, and then upgrade when the new line comes out. ;)

Enthusiast is the best of the best, no matter the price.

But yes, the current "Enthusiast chip" would still be considered the Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Edition, but at $1,049.99 its stupidly overpriced... i would take a 2600k any day

I strongly disagree. Most Enthusiasts will buy the cpu that offers the most overclocking headroom for the price. The i7 975 Extreme Edition was never the cpu of choice and it never will be. The i7 920 was an Enthusiast cpu and the i7 2600K is looking to be the newest choice of Enthusiasts Worldwide.

Actually the 980x is still the current enthusiast chip because it's 6 core, unlocked, and on the X58 platform which is still Intel's enthusiast platform. 1155 is the newer generation mainstream (price to performance value) where as 1156 was last generation mainstream platform. The new enthusiast platform for Intel will be 2011 at the end of the year.

As Trotter said, a real enthusiast will buy the 2600k i7 and then upgrade later when the actual enthusiast platform is released.

The i7 920 was the enthusiast on a budget CPU lol.

Just because Intel labels a cpu as "Enthusiast", that does not make it so. The i7 975 was labeled by Intel as it's Enthusiast offering but the i7 920 was it's virtual equal in the hands of a True Enthusiast. The 980X was Intel's next cpu labeled as "Enthusiast" and for a while it's performance was untouchable, but that doesn't make it an Enthusiast CPU, it just makes it expensive.

Enthusiast - a person who is filled with enthusiasm for some principle, pursuit, etc.; a person of ardent zeal: a sports enthusiast.

Having the money to buy the most expensive cpu doesn't make you or the chip an Enthusiast.

It's enthusiast by default simply because it is the top of the line chip on Intel's current enthusiast platform. You're making it out to be more than what it really is. By your definition of "enthusiast" you're trying to state that anybody who buys performance oriented hardware is an enthusiast (like me), which is simply not true. I don't consider myself an enthusiast but more of a mainstream budget OCer. Somebody who has say a 950/980x, couple GPUs together, WCing rig ect I would consider an enthusiast. Somebody who drops cash on 4 580s, an SR-2, and a few hex Xeons IMO just has more money than brains instead of being an enthusiast.

Somebody who drops cash on 4 580s, an SR-2, and a few hex Xeons IMO just has more money than brains instead of being an enthusiast.

facebook_like_button.png

My definition of the word Enthusiast is straight from the Dictionary. I'm not putting any kind of a twist on it, it's not "my opinion" or what a company wants to try an brand something as.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom