CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

immy3

Baseband Member
So, this was my go to place two years ago when I built my first custom rig.

Two years later, she's still running like a champ. I still got a Q6600 (OCed modestly to 2.7 GHz), 4 GB RAM, and an 8800GT all running on a DFI Lanparty DK P35 chipset Mobo.

Yeah, it's old. I haven't been playing any of the newest games (Empire Total War is about as new as it gets for me, and it runs smoothly maxed out).

Needless to say, I'm not in dire need of an upgrade. However, I've been out of the loop for so long on hardware that all this new stuff is a lot to catch up on. What's the deal with processors nowadays? Is Intel still leading the way, or has AMD caught up with multicore?

What about the newest Intel processors, how do they stack up against, say, my Q6600? Is there a big difference, or is it marginal at best?

Was also thinking about buying four more gigs of ram, considering my mobo supports 8 GB and it's dirt cheap. Running Vista x64, would it be worth it?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Intel still out performs core to core, but AMD still out performs dollars to performance. AMD has an affordable 6 core chip for moderate multi taskers

The new "i" series whoops a q6600, but i believe AMD does too. The q6600 was a **** good chip though.

You need x64 to run 4 gigs, and a better gpu. You'd only see 3.5Gigs with your rig if you added 4gigs. Will you see a huge difference, nah... I wouldn't pay to switch just for x64 ablity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom