CPU Usage spike when using web browsers - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 04:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to kept_logic
Unhappy CPU Usage spike when using web browsers

Dear Tech helper,

I recently installed Windows XP professional on my laptop and I am experiencing heavy latency problems when I move my web browswer around in the workspace. I have 256 megs of RAM and when I was using XP home edition, I didn't have any problems. I see the CPU usage spike from around 10 to approx. 90 percent when I click and drag my web browser around. I thought it was just an IE issue, but I installed Firefox and it does something similar when I try to move it.

Also, I recently got a wireless broadband account and was surfing the net with home edition on my laptop and it was fine.

So, have you experienced any spikes in CPU usage when you use web browswers in Windows XP professional? Anything you might suggest to try to make it so my web browsers don't 'stick'.

Thanks,
Kept_Logic

Old 04-14-2006, 04:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Did you unistall XP home off your hard drive before you installed XP pro....this happend to my mom and her dekstop was exteremly sluggish.

Also what do you use this computer for......If you can I suggest you bring your computer to your local computer store and ask them if they can install you a extra 256 MB of ram. You will see a noticable performance increase
Also when I move around my browser My cpu hits 70% somtimes too
but then again I have a pentium M...(still waiting for part to finish other computer)

May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face, and may the winds of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars
Old 04-14-2006, 04:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I don't understand. Does the CPU usage jump when you move the web browser icons around, or the window?
Old 04-14-2006, 05:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

Like say when you open up Task Manager and your looking at your CPU Usage. its probaly at a low % but when you click and hold your web browser and move it around, shake it and stuff your CPU percentage jumps up significantly.

Example:

when I shake my broswer:

When I just leave it alone:

Sorry for the big pictures...I couldnt resize them.

May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face, and may the winds of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars
Old 04-14-2006, 05:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Oh... That happens when you move any window around. If you don't like it, disable show window contents while dragging.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yes, it happens when I move the browser window around. I was messing around with it more and I noticed, it's not just the web browsers but any application. Your right, the desktop is sluggish. So, I'm not sure if this is a RAM issue with installing Windows XP professional, or if it is from the installation.

I am almost certain I wiped the drive of windows XP home. I have the full version of XP Pro, not just the upgrade.

I still have to try disabling 'show window contents while dragging'. That's in the control panel right?
Old 04-15-2006, 01:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I tried disabling 'show window contents while dragging' and that did help! Thanks! I think it does still seem to have some lag time, but I guess it is bearable for now. I might try to get more RAM too. Any other suggestions? Just let me know. Thanks for your help!

Closed Thread