CPU upgrade do i need a new FAN ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mc6pack

Baseband Member
Hi guys,

Ive just upgraded my CPU from 3500 to x2 4400, do i need to upgrade the CPU fan ? The one i have is the stock fan that came with my 3500, Im a gamer so it WILL be gettin worked aggresively (especialy with BIOSHOCK etc comin out in the next couple of months :D), i have a thermaltake case and PSU so heat has never been an issue, If i do need to upgrade can any1 make a recommendation .

Thanks
Mac

Hi guys,

Ive just upgraded my CPU from 3500 to x2 4400, do i need to upgrade the CPU fan ? The one i have is the stock fan that came with my 3500, Im a gamer so it WILL be gettin worked aggresively (especialy with BIOSHOCK etc comin out in the next couple of months :D), i have a thermaltake case and PSU so heat has never been an issue, If i do need to upgrade can any1 make a recommendation .

Thanks
Mac

Welcome to Tech Forums

If the 4400 came with a fan, use it. If you plan on overclocking or are just worried about temperature I would suggest this...

Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail

No, it doesnt come with a fan (forgot to mention that LOL) and im not plannin on OCin it.

It should be fine in most cases but it will run a little hotter than normal. The stock heatsink (of the older cores) has a nice heatpipe cooler while the 3500+ only has a simple heatsink.

thanks alot, i thought itd be ok, just didnt want to install then have to go an buy a fan and waste time i could use gaming :)

fadetoblack2004 : runs it great, could probly get away with SLI :) 4900 on 3dmark06 with my 3500+ in... hmmm now u got me thinkin... wil there be a big power consumpion increase when i stick my 4400 in ???

The stock heatsink will do fine. As long as you have good airflow in your case. There isn't a huge power consumption increase, when you stick the X2 4400+ in. That power supply will run them fine.

cool, could i just get a bit of failsafe info...

1) how hot should it be runnin, ive read that between 20c-40c is good, below 50c is ok, over 50c is gettin into danger zone... is this correct ?

2)do u know of any descent (free) CPU temp monitoring software so i can keep an eye on it.

thanks again guys

p.s. under 12hrs till it arrives woohoo, i feel like a 5yr old on christmas eve :D

20c-40c is good for idle temperature. Below 60c is safe for load.

Speedfan and Everest are the most common free temperature monitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom