CPU upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abstract Hero

Hyper Techie
So I'm upgrading for Christmas I've already ordered a case, PSU and mobo. I didn't consult you guys cuz my family was making me order on the spot.

Newegg.com - Foxconn A78AX-S AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard

I got that mobo to be exact. I would like to take one more step. I want a Phenom. Preferably a Phenom II. Here are my options.

Newegg.com - Computer Hardware,CPUs / Processors,Processors - Desktops,Socket AM2+

What is the best choice? My biggest concern is the max wattage for the mobo. It says it takes Phenoms so is it safe to assume it can take a 125w Phenom II?

Oh, and I ordered a 500w Corsair. Should be enough power right?

I think you may want to show us what the other components are.
On a side note:Assuming your getting something with the voltage requirements of a 6870 (the only thing I currently have knowledge of its requirements) it needs at least a 500w PSU. Also I read the a PSU slowly deteriorates so I would say your PSU is a bit small.

oh, no no no no no. I only run a GT240 and I don't plan on upgrading that for awhile. Plus a bigger PSU is out of budget and I needed a new one anyway.

Ok full specs are the ones in my sig.

GT240 1GB DDR3, HDD, ODD, CPU cooler, 4GB XMS2

New parts Include.

Newegg.com - Rosewill DESTROYER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 120mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan, 1x Top 120mm Fan, 1x Bottom Fan
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Builder Series CMPSU-500CX 500W ATX12V v2.3 Active PFC Power Supply
Newegg.com - Foxconn A78AX-S AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard

and this possible Phenom.

Here's your CPU compatibility list:
Foxconn Support - CPU Support List

You got lucky, as a BIOS update will put you into business. You can use any Phenom II up through 3.2GHz, including the x6. It will probably handle a higher operating frequency CPU, but those are the ones that has been tested by Foxconn. The list says 95W on all the x4's, but has 125W on a couple of x6's, so I figure it can do 125W.

Yes, you can rep me now.

Re: WHich Phenom?

OEM vs retail. OEM comes with NO warranty from AMD whatsoever. I just went down that road and found out I would have been screwed had I went with an OEM CPU.

The 940 is a Black Edition whereas the 945 is not. That doesn't make any difference to me, though.

The 945 is a true AM3. It will transplant into the next AMD socket; the AM2+ 940 will not.

The OEM on newegg says one year limited?

If you were in my situation which would you go for?

EDIT: I'm leaning towards the 945. But if anyone has anything to add I love the input purchase will be in the next week or so.

Limited = none in this case. The model number would tell AMD that this is an OEM chip and you would get nada.

I would go for the boxed CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom