CPU Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackmoore

Daemon Poster
I'm going to be upgrading my PC here in the near future, and I want to swap out my Intel Q9550 for something a bit more modern. I also want to upgrade my DDR2 to DDR3 and swap out my GTX260 for a GTX470 or 480, I'm not sure yet. I made the mistake of buying the Q9550 right as the Core i7's were coming out, and I don't want to make the same mistake over again in this upgrade.

I have been browsing Newegg.com and noticed that they no longer carry the i7 920/930 which is what I always thought I would get if I upgraded. But I have also noticed a few higher and lower end 32nm chips popping up some of them being six-core vs quad-core. Obviously I can't afford something like a six-core i7 970 priced at nearly $900.

So I am wondering if it would be a mistake to buy a 45nm quad-core i7 950 or something, or will they be coming out with 32nm six-core versions of the i7 930, 950, etc . . . in the near future? Keep in mind that I am shopping in the $250-$400 range for the CPU and I don't have to buy right away. I would rather have the most modern technology than have it two months early.

Wait for Q1 2011, then you can get an i7 2600 (Sandy Bridge). That's the next generation 32nm based on a new architecture. Generally they're about 50% more powerful than the shrink of the previous generation (Nehalem (otherwise known as the "i" line) started out as 45nm, and then was reworked or "shrunk" down to 32nm and named Westmere. Sandy Bridge, it's successor, will be introduced as 32nm. In Q3-Q4 Sandy Bridge will be shrunk to 22nm and be called Ivy Bridge.

All that aside, if you're looking to get a new processor and want it to be "modern", wait until you can get a Sandy Bridge model. Westmeres (32nm Nehalem) will be old news beginning of next year.

Well you wont be getting a complete i7 setup for under 400 bucks cause youll need a new mobo, ram, and cpu.

Wait for Q1 2011, then you can get an i7 2600 (Sandy Bridge). That's the next generation 32nm based on a new architecture. Generally they're about 50% more powerful than the shrink of the previous generation (Nehalem (otherwise known as the "i" line) started out as 45nm, and then was reworked or "shrunk" down to 32nm and named Westmere. Sandy Bridge, it's successor, will be introduced as 32nm. In Q3-Q4 Sandy Bridge will be shrunk to 22nm and be called Ivy Bridge.

All that aside, if you're looking to get a new processor and want it to be "modern", wait until you can get a Sandy Bridge model. Westmeres (32nm Nehalem) will be old news beginning of next year.

Incorrect, Sandy Brdige is 1155 and the successor to the current i5/P55 platform. Socket 2011 due out late next year is the successor to i7 and 1366.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom