CPU Speed Changing? Speedstep and Cool and Quiet Technology Explained

Status
Not open for further replies.

veg1992

Golden Master
I've seen a billion threads like these already about people not seeing the right speed, so I thought I'd clear it up, also kill two birds with one stone by also explaining Cool and Quiet Technology

Explanation
Cool and Quiet and Speedstep are both power saving features used by AMD and Intel processors respectively, what they do is reduce the Heat and (possibly Loudness) by reducing the clock speeds when Idle by dropping the Voltage and the Multiplier

CPU's having Speedstep and Cool and Quiet Technology:
Intel:

Intel Celeron Dual-Core
Intel Core i7
Intel Core i7 Extreme
Intel Core 2 Duo
Intel Core 2 Extreme
Intel Core 2 Quad
Intel Pentium D (just the Preslers)
Intel Pentium Dual-Core

AMD:
Athlon64
Athlon64 X2 FX
Athlon64 X2
Opteron
Phenom X3
Phenom X4
Phenom II X3
Phenom II X4

Disabling These Features
Intel: you simply disable C1E and EIST in the BIOS
AMD: Disable CNQ in your BIOS (I need an accuracy check on this one)

Re: Speedstep and Cool and Quiet Technology Explained

wow I wasn't expecting this to become a Sticky

I have had a couple people tell me that having speedstep and C1E enabled while your system is overclocked can make your system unstable. Is there any truth to this?

I have had a couple people tell me that having speedstep and C1E enabled while your system is overclocked can make your system unstable. Is there any truth to this?

Yes, but it does not hold true for everyone, just for most people. You will have to try it on your own setup to see for yourself.

lol, i didnt have these disabled in my bios when i first started overclocking and didn't seem to make much difference for me. But later on i disabled them for the sake of it.

Baron, post your setup in the intel overclocking thread, that also goes for anyone else that has yet to.

disabling Cool'n'Quiet also ensures that the TLB bug in B2 Phenom processors will not rear it's ugly head up. even with virtualisation, and 100% load.

No need for a BIOS fix, which will cripple performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom