CPU rankings list?

Status
Not open for further replies.

philbar71

Fully Optimized
i dont see one, i think we should make one similar to the graphics cards ranking list. is this practical? if i were to make one where would i start?

Not a bad idea, but would you want it to take into account some CPU's being an overclocker's dream or would you want it to be based on stock performance.

This list could also be very difficult too. Look at the i7, if you compare the two in a certain benchmark, namely gaming, you might not see much of a gap at all ... but if you benchmark with server applications you'll see a tremendous gap.

Secondly, you have the difference between quad cores and dual cores which is still hazy when it comes to benchmarks. Most apps don't utilize four cores, so where would you draw the line when you say such and such dual core processor is better than such and such quad core?

I'm not entirely sure a list like this would be doable.

PCmark might be a better gauge, but i dunno. Since different applications and different needs call for different CPUs, it woul dbe hard to gauge what's good for you just based on mark scores. It's not a bad idea, though.

i dunno....i say the naming gives it away.

I know video cards are the sameway, but with all the renaming and different things for each type of card it'd not as simple

Its a good idea.. but then, whats the point though..

I'd say close to 99% of the new people who show up here don't bother to read any of the stickies unless we direct them to it.. or they have their own biases that make them refuse our advice

The Core i7 965 will be #1 on the list. But its price/performance edge against the 920 is virtually non-existent.

So there would be a lot complaining and arguing about price/performance as well. Same thing happens with graphic cards, but at least they tend to keep around $600~. While chips can go up to $1,500+.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom