CPU Questions for a Build? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-30-2013, 09:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Minecraft Veteran
 
Thorax_the_Impaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: 127.0.0.1
Posts: 352
Question CPU Questions for a Build?

Hello fellow techies!

So I have a question for you experienced computer builders. I see that the i3 3220 has been recommended for gaming rigs left and right, but in all seriousness, what's the true advantage to something like an i3 3220 against say, an i5 3570K processor? I mean, the i5 in this case is clocked slightly higher per core (every .1GHz counts), and there are two extra cores. Plus, you can overclock the i5. It's true that the other two cores may not be in use during some games and other tasks but even when they aren't in use the aren't hindering overall performance right? I know it's not as simple as mores cores=more power but why take an i3 to an i5? What's the advantage of the i3 that the i5 doesn't have?

Thanks in advance for all answers! They are always greatly appreciated.
__________________

Thorax_the_Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
ninja troll
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,019
Default Re: CPU Questions for a Build?

an i3 is cheaper. if you have a budget, you need to cut somewhere. if 2 cores will more than do the job, then you arent cutting yourself short for gaming. 4 cores is gravy.
__________________

__________________
Intel Core i5-2500K
ASUS P8Z68-V LE LGA 1155 Intel Z68
Corsair 550VX
1Tb Samsung Spinpoint F3
1Tb WD Caviar Green
2Tb WD Caviar Green
8gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600
Sapphire Radeon 6870


jasonalwaysready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Minecraft Veteran
 
Thorax_the_Impaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: 127.0.0.1
Posts: 352
Default Re: CPU Questions for a Build?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonalwaysready View Post
an i3 is cheaper. if you have a budget, you need to cut somewhere. if 2 cores will more than do the job, then you arent cutting yourself short for gaming. 4 cores is gravy.
I wasn't really trying to imply that you're cheating yourself in any aspects by getting an i3; I was more or less asking if there was any clear advantage to it; though I should've mentioned I knew price was a factor and for that I apologize.
Thorax_the_Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,287
Default Re: CPU Questions for a Build?

The only reason I recommend the i3 so much is because most people here have a 1000 dollar or less budget. Going from the i5 to the i3 is the biggest downgrade you wont notice performance in while dropping the most cash. If you dropped say, a 670 to the 660 you'll notice a big hit in FPS. Going from the i5 to the i3 you wont notice it. That's the advantage. There is no performance advantage in taking the i3 over the i5. It's purely monetary based.

If you look at any other non gaming rigs I downgrade the opposite. I just downgrade where performance doesn't matter that much and the CPU in gaming builds can be dropped without a considerate hit in performance.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Minecraft Veteran
 
Thorax_the_Impaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: 127.0.0.1
Posts: 352
Default Re: CPU Questions for a Build?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
The only reason I recommend the i3 so much is because most people here have a 1000 dollar or less budget. Going from the i5 to the i3 is the biggest downgrade you wont notice performance in while dropping the most cash. If you dropped say, a 670 to the 660 you'll notice a big hit in FPS. Going from the i5 to the i3 you wont notice it. That's the advantage. There is no performance advantage in taking the i3 over the i5. It's purely monetary based.

If you look at any other non gaming rigs I downgrade the opposite. I just downgrade where performance doesn't matter that much and the CPU in gaming builds can be dropped without a considerate hit in performance.
Makes sense. Usually people have a set saved budget, which I understand. I was beginning to get under the impression that unused cores hindered maximum performance.
Thorax_the_Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,287
Default Re: CPU Questions for a Build?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorax_the_Impaler View Post
Makes sense. Usually people have a set saved budget, which I understand. I was beginning to get under the impression that unused cores hindered maximum performance.
They are just leeway and better for WIndows to offload background tasks to. Don't forget, the i3 has HT so it has 4 threads and 2 cores. The biggest difference being the 3570k is 229 and the 3220 is 129.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Minecraft Veteran
 
Thorax_the_Impaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: 127.0.0.1
Posts: 352
Default Re: CPU Questions for a Build?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
They are just leeway and better for WIndows to offload background tasks to. Don't forget, the i3 has HT so it has 4 threads and 2 cores. The biggest difference being the 3570k is 229 and the 3220 is 129.
HT is always nice, but you'd only recommend the i3 over the i5 based on someone's budget correct? Let's say their budget allowed for that extra $100, would you recommend it then?
Thorax_the_Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,287
Default Re: CPU Questions for a Build?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorax_the_Impaler View Post
HT is always nice, but you'd only recommend the i3 over the i5 based on someone's budget correct? Let's say their budget allowed for that extra $100, would you recommend it then?
Yes, but again depends on usage and budget.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Minecraft Veteran
 
Thorax_the_Impaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: 127.0.0.1
Posts: 352
Default Re: CPU Questions for a Build?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Yes, but again depends on usage and budget.
Okay I gotcha.
Thorax_the_Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,287
Default Re: CPU Questions for a Build?

For instance, if it's strictly gaming, the performance increase would still come from more GPU. 100 bucks is the difference between 670 and 660ti, or i3 and i5. ****, if I was building a rig right now and had the cash with NO PC parts I would grab a 680 and the Pentium 2120 if I had to.
To iterate my seriousness, I'm currently looking for a buyer for my 3960x. I'm looking at getting a 680 to put on my first gen i5.
__________________

__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.