cpu question about pins

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinoy3000

Daemon Poster
does the intel core 2 duo suppose to have pins? those tiny gold dots? are those pins? because they dont seem to look like it they just look like dots even if i view it from the side. unlike other cpu's i have seen. im not so sure.

the pins are on the mobo
it should look something like this:
c2dfp5.jpg

and the socket:
socketgp1.jpg

I'm guessing, they made it like that, so it's harder to bend the pins, by accident of course.

Core 2 Duos use LGA775 which stands for Land Grid Array 775(pins). SO the reason it doesn't have traditional style pins is because its an LGA CPU. The CPU with the pins your referred to is called a PGA or pin grid array.

i see what you meant there, but a new mobo is actually cheaper than a cpu for the most part. so no, youre wrong

ok fine, ill be quiet from someone with 200 post
a bend cpu pin can be fixed, a mobo bend pin cant, so dont try to be smart, ok?

Regardless of posts, its much easier to bend a CPU pin then it is to bend a motherboard pin (especially since LGA motherboards don't really have pins, rather they have bumps). Theres many reasons why they started using LGA over PGA and I don't think the cost of replacing a motherboard vs a CPU was one of them.

thanks for the reply guys. I thought all the pins broke or something and thats why my build wasnt working haha. And it came that way so which made me wonder if they gave me a used cpu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom