cpu/motherboard compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thresh25

Daemon Poster
Recent rumors have been spreading that both AMD and Intel are edging away from a full-fledged DDR3 push due to a lack of consumer demand. While this remains a rumor for the time being, it's a good time to remind anyone who might have forgotten that AM3 CPUs, which are due to launch soon, will be backwards compatible with Socket AM2/AM2+ motherboards.

This will be the first time AMD has maintained backwards compatibility across a socket change and it has significant ramifications for anyone who owns an older board. New Phenom II AM3 parts at lower speeds (and price points) should be drop-in replacements for anyone with an AM2-based Athlon 64 X2 or existing Phenom system. Thanks to the 45nm shift, these new AM3 chips should also be far more suited to the power limitations in certain 780G motherboards as well.

Okay... I have already asked this, but unless I'm reading it wrong I could throw an AM3 chip into my am2 board? Or does my board need to be am2+???

You can use a regular AM2 board for an AM3. But not all of them will, it is mainly up to the motherboard vendor. So no, it does not have to be AM2+ as long as the proper bios is supported for AM3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom