CPU+MoBo= what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how I let this thread slip by...

First of all, you messed up your links. All you link to is the CPU. Now, there is a key question I have:

Will you be overclocking?

If you're going to be overclocking, I'd suggest instead of that, get a Opteron 146 or 148 and an MSI K8N Neo4-F, or the premium, more expensive overclocking mobo, DFI LanParty Ultra-D. If not, that looks fine to me. I don't know about the overclocking capabilities of the ASUS' board's BIOS, so if you think you may try to overclock at any point in time, grab the MSI K8N Neo4-F. It's the same price and it's a great overclocker.

Don't forget the dual core option if you come across a bit more cash. $65 more and you can get a good dual-core CPU (X2 3800+): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103562

Or the overclocking beast (Opteron 165): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103588

The links are not the same. Its not like I went back and edited it:p . Lol, but i really dont know why they were the same the first time, i copied and pasted each url but idk.

Anyway, thanks for the advice and im not planning to oc but ill look into the opteron anyways:)

If you're not overclocking, the only benefit you'll see is the 1MB L2 cache over the lower-end Athlon's 512KB L2 cache. If you don't overclock, I doubt it'd be worth dishing out the extra money for an Opteron.

NathanM said:
If you're not overclocking, the only benefit you'll see is the 1MB L2 cache over the lower-end Athlon's 512KB L2 cache. If you don't overclock, I doubt it'd be worth dishing out the extra money for an Opteron.

athlons have 1mb L2 cache as well.. for single core, the san diego core has 1mb L2 and the venice core has 512kb L2 cache.

for dual core you have the manchester and the toledo.

the thing with opterons is that you can get the bigger L2 cache, with low clock speeds (a lot cheaper) and then you can compensate by overclocking it as its a notorious overclocker... hence achieving best value. (fast speed, big L2 cache..)

I was thinking about the lower-end ones. Tough to remember when they start all turning to 1MB :p.

Dual Core processors will come in handy, as we're starting to see some multi-threaded games that can actually take advantage of them. I'd suggest you get either the 3800+ or the Opteron 165 if you have the money available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom