CPU Heatsink reccos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjheero_yuy99

In Runtime
My computer recently overheated.... MB shut down computer on my, (I have bios shut down when CPU reaches 75c).

Never had this problem, but I know that the air flow in my case is not the best, since my graphics card blocks most of the air intake to the CPU. I know that I probably should get a new case, but was first going to try the CPU Fan, since i'm still running stock, and didn't have any overheating issues until I cleaned all the dust out, (but put some generic thermal grease on, which was probably my problem...)

anyway, I have been debating against a couple of heat sink fans, but thought I would ask here to see which is best.

I currently have a AMD 754 socket, Athlon 64 3400+. I would like to buy a fan that would work for my next system as well, (thus, the reason these fans say they are compatible with all the new socket types, and the one i'm using.) If it is better just to get one for my current system then please say so...

I am looking at these:
Newegg.com - Buy Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

I did look at the ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro since its recommended so much, but it won't work with my system. I will be sure to get MX-1 or Artic Silver 5 for the thermal grease this time.

Planning to order stuff off newegg. Half the problem is that I don't know what will fit in my case, so if you have the one your recommending, then please, if possible, send dimensions.

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. I'll look into those ones and see if they will fit.

do you know if one is better then the other? or does that kinda depend from system to system? I keep hearing alot of good about the tuniq and that it is slightly better then the zalman...

They might be close, but the Tuniq wins, IMO.

whoa...the Tuniq is only $44.99 at newegg.

then add the extra 5$ to get a fan for it

I thought the tuniq tower came with a fan, or are you saying to get a different fan?

I measured what I have room for, and if I pull out my exhaust funnel over the CPU, then I will be able to fit in the fan. The power cable is right next to the cpu however, so I think I will get the tuniq tower, so that it uses more vertical space, (plus my graphics card pretty much destroys all low air flow anyway.)

MB is Biostar K8NHA-Grand. From center of CPU I have 79mm until hitting power supply, 90mm until hitting graphics card, 180mm of height, and have memory that sits 3mm up right next to the cpu. Since the tower is 5.5mm in the air, I think that will be my best choice.

Thanks for all the help. It seems that the tuniq is the recommended one anyway, and yea, for $45, its $15 less then the Zalman 9700.

last question,
1) I believe I will want to place another fan above where the CPU was, should this be pulling air into the system? or out? (current setup is one 90 in front bring in, one 90 in back blowing out, psu has fan to go out as well. however graphics card blocks most direct airflow to mb level where the cpu is. )

Thanks again for the help!

last question,
1) I believe I will want to place another fan above where the CPU was, should this be pulling air into the system? or out? (current setup is one 90 in front bring in, one 90 in back blowing out, psu has fan to go out as well. however graphics card blocks most direct airflow to mb level where the cpu is. )

Thanks again for the help!

The fan on top should be an exhaust, pulling air out, because heat rises.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom