CPU confusion.. - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 02-08-2006, 07:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Techie

Yeah thats why Im a little so-so with the opty..I think the x2 4400 is solid and OC'able to the 4800

I wish I had my Computer...:(
Old 02-08-2006, 07:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via AIM to Brtnboarder495

Yes it is, but the Opty equivalent of the x2 could OC at least twice as much.

Old 02-08-2006, 07:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Originally posted by Brtnboarder495
Yes it is, but the Opty equivalent of the x2 could OC at least twice as much.
Not really. An opteron 180 will not overclock any higher than the X2 4800. The toledo core X2's will overclock as far as any dual core opteron. The reason opterons are so popular is because the lower ones can reach such high speeds at great prices. The 165 can get to 2.5GHz to 2.8GHz, depending on the stepping/week, all at about $350. The X2 4400 or 4800 will also be able to get to those speeds just as easily, but are more expensive. If you buy an opteron you take the risk that you will get a dud that will struggle to reach the X2 4400 speeds (2.2GHz). If you are not into hardcore overclocking, then stick with the X2 toledo cores (4400, 4800).
Old 02-08-2006, 07:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I don't know why people say that opterons overclock higher then toledo X2 cores. It's just that the low-end opterons can reach the same oc's as the other higher-end cpus so it makes sense that if your sure your going to overclock it is better to the opty 165

Stock speed: X2 > Opteron (X2 wins)
Overclocking: X2 = Opteron (tie)
Price range: X2 > Opteron (Opteron wins)

Basicly it comes down to this: If your not overclocking the X2 is the better choice and it still can overclock very well if you decide to later on, but if your sure your going to overclock the opteron is better becuase it is cheaper.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to HAVOC Send a message via Yahoo to HAVOC

Pretty much everything you could possibly ask has be posted as a question and answered somewhere in this forum before. Before you post 100 questions that you're trying to research, try using the "search" function. You'll uncover vast amounts of information and won't waste you're time posting then waiting for answers.

Closed Thread