which cpu is better? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 01:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: which cpu is better?

the reason i dont want to build is i never done it before and i don't have the money to fool around with that before i head back to school. i just wanted a good computer that should last till or through graduate school.
and how easy could building a cpu really be? i leave in under two weeks so i doubt that i have the time without spending extra for quicker shipping. alienware only has two shipping options 2 day and 3-5 so i at least had time to get an opinion on the models i did on their site.

and any comments on cpu#4? i know i could downgrade the hard drive to 500 or 250 to upgrade something else, but i was completely unfamilier with the motherboard and he didnt list the specific model.

and to hefemeister, thanks for listing that site, their prices seem much better then dell/alienware.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

yeah, alienware are notorious for high prices, but dell? hmm, they're ususally cheap but totally non-customizable

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 08-06-2009, 01:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
Lord Techie

ibuypower is great because you can basically select all of your components and just have them build it for you.

Dell and Alienware will stick you with some cheap components most notably the psu.

I would still lean towards building your own but if I could not I would never buy a gaming computer from Dell or Alienware.

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 08-06-2009, 03:11 AM   #14 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuhi View Post
the reason i dont want to build is i never done it before and i don't have the money to fool around with that before i head back to school. i just wanted a good computer that should last till or through graduate school.
and how easy could building a cpu really be? i leave in under two weeks so i doubt that i have the time without spending extra for quicker shipping. alienware only has two shipping options 2 day and 3-5 so i at least had time to get an opinion on the models i did on their site.

and any comments on cpu#4? i know i could downgrade the hard drive to 500 or 250 to upgrade something else, but i was completely unfamilier with the motherboard and he didnt list the specific model.

and to hefemeister, thanks for listing that site, their prices seem much better then dell/alienware.
There isn't really anything to "learn" ... honestly... motherboard has a plug that looks like X, PSU has a plug that looks like X... put it together... the most difficult part is cable management and mounting the heatsink on the cpu (which is actually easy, just intimidating the first time)... but yea.. . if that is not an option, ibuypower and cyberpower are better options than alienware
Old 08-06-2009, 08:09 AM   #15 (permalink)
Lord Techie

i7 920 with 6GB of DDR3 1600
Old 08-07-2009, 02:20 AM   #16 (permalink)
True Techie

First build!
Old 08-07-2009, 08:29 AM   #17 (permalink)
Junior Techie

My first build with zero experience took me 2 hours. Check out this link and see if you can handle it.

Build a PC - Introduction to Building your PC - PCitYourself.com

I bet you could save a couple hundred dollars by building it yourself. Also neweggs cheapest shipping is 3 day and I've had stuff come 2 day without paying for it.

Closed Thread