A couple random questions. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 10:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default A couple random questions.

Ok, I just got my motherboard and PSU delivered today, still waiting on the case though.

I opened up the box for my mobo, and was looking at it in awe. I noticed it only had two IDE slots. I wanna run a DVD burner and a DVD drive, or two DVD burners. I also want to use a floppy drive. Do I really need one though? I read on a site that it is good to have one in case drivers and such come on floppys, but I dunno.

The mobo also came with some yellow cables. By the look of them, I'd say that they are IDE cables. But there are about six I think, and the mobo only has two IDE slots. Why would they give you six cables?

I was briefly skimming through the manual also, and noticed it talking about SLi VGA cards, but I don't have an SLi mobo. When I looked at the mobo though, it has two PCI-e x16 slots next to each other. Are those for SLi, or is the other slot just for a fast-running PCI card?

One last question, 535W will be alright for my setup wouldn't it? I ordered it before I changed my setup up bit to include a 7900GT. Surely a 7900GT won't increase the need for more power by much though would it?

Old 03-12-2006, 10:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

IDE cables, ribbion cables, are long and flat.( unless they're rounded) You usually don't see a ide cable that doesn't have 2 connectors anymore these days. You will have 2 IDE connectors on your mobo, but each ide cable will support 2 ide devices. Floppy disks use a completely different floppy connector.
The 2 pci x16 lanes are NOT SLi. You can't mod them to be sli anymore either.
Yes the psu will handel everything you have in there.

In The Mail!!!!- Athlon 64 3500 @Stock/Abit K9N SLi sAM2/2GB G.Skill DDR2 800 @Stock /XFX G7900GT XXX 520/1500Mhz/74GB Raptor w/ 16mbcache/300GB 16mbcache SATA HD/NEC DVD-RAM Burner/OCZ ModStream 520watt psu/ThermalTake Armor Jr./Logitech EX110 mouse/keyboard
Old 03-12-2006, 10:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

i dunno bout the mobo thing, but im sure 535W is more than enough, its good to have extra watts in case of upgrades.

Would that 535W by anychance be the Enermax?
Old 03-13-2006, 12:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by john3
i dunno bout the mobo thing, but im sure 535W is more than enough, its good to have extra watts in case of upgrades.

Would that 535W by anychance be the Enermax?
Yeah it is. I just got it delivered today. It came with a free Enermax bag! w00.
Closed Thread