Couple of Quick Questions on New Build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDM555

In Runtime
Hey guys, I have been searching constantly on this forum about information and great advice from many of you and I *think* I have decided what parts I will be buying.

Intel Q6600 Quad Core

Gigabyte DS3L Mobo

Raidmax Smilodon Case

Corsair 620HX PSU

EVGA 8800GT GPU

4GB Crucial Ballistix 6400

Seagate 32MB 500GB Sata II Hard Drive

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

I won't be OC'ing it at the moment, so I don't think I would need a fan on top of the AS5.

I just wanted to ask, about Q6600, should I wait for 45nm Quads, any updates on those? Or should I get 45nm E8400 Duo? Or should I just get the Q6600 (Microbyte has a deal that is $199 for Q6600's).

For the GPU, should I get 8800GT, or should I wait for the 9800GTX and get that? Or should I wait for the 9800GTX and get the 8800GT after the price drops? Or Get 8800GTS G92 or 9600GT?

DS3L or DS3R? I don't really see a difference, but there is a $50 difference between the two, let me know what is the difference if it's worth it.

Thanks a lot guys, I am really in need of a computer as my piece of junk is crapping on me right now. I need to order this within the next week or so.

Or should I try and wait until new stuff comes out which is going to suck. All of the things above will come around to a little under $1000 with tax/shipping included on everything.

ALSO! I wanted to ask, if you buy something off newegg and say it has $40 MIR. If I were to buy 1, I would get $40 MIR, but say I bought 2 of the same item, do I get $80 MIR, or do you only get 1 MIR of $40??

Thanks!

a 520hx would be more then enough for that build, id go with 2gb crucial, id stick with a q6600 for the moment. well if you want to wait for the 9800gtx its gonna be around 450 (i would get an 8800gt evga and step up just before it expires) don't get a raidmax case, they are terrible, if u don't want to spend much just get a low end coolermaster.

Whoa....520HX might be more than enough, but if down the road I would want to add 4GB, OC the Q6600 and get an X38 Mobo, Blah Blah Blah, I would of wished to pay that extra $20 for the 620HX. It's never bad to have more watts just in case, so that is staying at 620hx.

I might get 2GB Crucial instead of 4GB at the moment, I will think about that.

The Q6600 is on an awesome deal, and I better go get it tomorrow before they run out.

And How is the Raidmax terrible? Have you ever owned one? Please let me know, because from what I see, hear, and read about them, they are awesome. They are basically all metal, have 3-4 120mm fans ( Extreme Case ), and has a side drop down mobo tray. IMO That sounds awesome, and at $60, it's a steal.

WHOA WAIT... do not use that paste.. unless you are going to get your cpu cooler now... it is permanant and will not come off

Huh? You can't put the paste by itself? Or are you saying instead of putting it on now, I should just put it on with the cooler since I can't re-add any of it? Also inorder to install the cooler, you need to have paste, or is it just a common thing to do?

Basically, I'm confused, please tell me all about this paste/cooler ordeal. Thanks

the differences between the gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L and the DS3R is the DS3R has 8 sata ports where the DS3L has 4 and second its ment to have all japanese manufactured solid, thats what it says on the gigabyte web site anyway

as for the chips, the 45nm quads are ment to be out soon i heard 15th of march but i'm not 100%, the E8400 is a very good chip on its own but i would just go for the Q6600, the Q6600 can be overclocked very nicely to 3.6ghz on air cooling and its the cheaper quad around

get a 8800GTS 512 mb G92 gpu, this gpu will more then do the job till the 9800gtx comes out and i would suggest looking at it to see if its any good when some benchmarks come out

and last, get the fan when you get the chip it will give you the option of OCing right away and you dont have to bother changing parts then

WHOA WAIT... do not use that paste.. unless you are going to get your cpu cooler now... it is permanant and will not come off

Its not a cooler adhesive like for ram sinks its just a cooler compound like they give you for the cpu

but I would wait til you put on a cooler before you use it as well

I see, thanks guys. If the new 45nm technology quad and new 9800gtx card is coming out, I will just buy everything else and wait on those last.

Plus, you said the DS3L has 4 ports and the DS3R has 8 ports. What does that mean? How is 4 extra ports going to help me? Is it really needed??

John

The 520hx is plenty of power supply. I run an overclocked q6600 and 3 video cards with it. The 620 only has extra amps on the 3v rail. Right now, your best bet is to go with an 8800GTS512 because all signs are pointing at the new 9800 series cards just being slightly overclocked GTS's with a 2nd SLI finger for tri-sli.

Also, i have some Crucial tracers for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom