Couple Questions on Upgrade. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 04:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Default Couple Questions on Upgrade.

Ok, so I'm gonna put together basically a new system. I have all the parts except for the CPU and GPU and RAM. Basically my budget is gonna be pretty low but not too low. I'm hoping it will be anywhere from 300 to 600. I want almost the best of the best but nothing too insane. Here's what I'm thinking about.

CPU:
Q6600 or an E7200
I would like a quad core, but for something capable of 4.5ghz for 125... I don't know if I can pass that up.

GPU:
9800GTX or 9800GTX+
I don't really want to go ATI, and i like the look of the 9800gtx. Also what kind of difference can i expect from the 9800gtx+ over the regular gtx? Also what's the price of the gtx+ on launch and when is it scheduled to launch?

RAM:
Someone's gonna need to point me in the direction of a good RAM set, 4gb please i'll be running server 08. It needs to be fast but not epically fast, and cheap. Not looking to spend over like 75-80 bucks on it.

THANKS

Also if you are selling any of the above mentioned items drop me a PM and we will talk

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Default Re: Couple Questions on Upgrade.

e7200... you're builds don't last long man.. you usually upgrade really quickly.. so by that time you can get a q6600 later on..

9800gtx+ is worth waiting for since I think it comes out in a couple of weeks

I know you hate rebates so let me look for RAM.. and you said you can "stretch" the budget a little

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

EDIT: again... q6600 it is since you said.. you won't be upgrading for a while

I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 06-27-2008, 04:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Inquiry - The Dark Cheese

9800GTX+ purpose was to just surpase the 4850 while the 9800GTX levels with it. its gonna be 230ish so not much more from the original one.

Stupid why they didn't just call it the 9800Ultra.
MSI P6N SLI Platinum
OCZ Vista Performance Platinum 4x2GB
2x Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB RAID 0
HD Radeon 3450 *Temp* *8800GT SLI Coming*
Acer AL2216W 22" LCD Monitor + 17" Samsung Sync Master 750
Antec TruePower Trio 650 Watt
Power Up Standard
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Old 06-27-2008, 04:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

I think he might be considering the HD 4850, if there's a cooler that goes with it (he didn't want it before because they were single slot and would probably run warm)
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Closed Thread