Couple Questions for High End Rig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do people always suggest that? I'm not trying to be rude or anything, just curious. Why get something to overclock to 3.4 when you can get something that starts at 3.4 and overclock from there? Its only $25 more on newegg.

Again, I'm not trying to be rude just don't understand. I don't really understand how overclocking works as I've never done it before, though I would like to learn.

You probably get that response because when you say your interested in buying a specific CPU, your interest can be interpreted in a few ways:
1. thats the maximum you want to spend on a cpu
2. you figure the speed of that processor is what you are looking for
3. you plan to overclock the **** out of it and take it for everything it's got.

Most people who post on this site asking for build suggestions don't plan on overclocking and probably intend the 1st or 2nd thoughts. When trying to squeeze as much performance into a specific budget $25 can make a difference. Being that (in this specific case) the x4 955 would OC to x4 965 speeds with less effort than it took me to write this post, it may be a viable option for someone with no overclocking or even hardware experience. Thus allowing the user to put that extra $25 towards something that may benefit their system more.

Money only played a medium sized factor in my build. I had a big budget to begin with. I'm building it myself, the parts are coming in now. I've never overclocked because I've never spent this kinda money on a PC. So even spending whatever amount to get the 965 is a viable expense. I've just never dived into overclocking that much but if it's highly recommended by you all, then it looks like it's something I going to do asap.

This is what my build is looking like right now. It'll be able to handle almost anything I throw at it. There were just a couple parts I was questioning.

CoolerMaster HAF 932 Full Tower
AMD Phenomâ„¢ II X4 965 Black Edition Quad-Core
Asetek Liquid CPU Cooling
8 GB [2 GB X4] DDR3-1600 - A-DATA Gaming Series
ATI Radeon HD 5850 - 1GB - Dual CrossFire Mode
CrossFire Gigabyte GA-790FXTA
1000 Watt - Extreme Power Supply
32GB SSD – OS/Programs
1 TB HD – Blu-Ray Movies
1 TB HD – Everything Else
Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series
Killer Xeno Pro Gaming Network Card
8x Blu-Ray Writer Drive
Windows 7 Ultimate
ASUS VH242HL-P 23” Moniter
ASUS X233H bd 23” Moniter
Razer Lycosa Keyboard
Razer Naga Mouse

don't get a gaming network card, there is just not enough of a reason to purchase a expensive network card when the onboard NIC is fine, if you want lower ping, get a better connection. Personally, unless you really need the ssd i would ditch it and opt for an i7 rig.

Also dont get the asetek LC, to be honest you'll get better results with a high end air cooler like the titan fenrir or prolimatech megahalems, but in your case i would opt for the sunbeamtech core contact, its awesome for the price, nearlly as good as those mentioned above.

The network card is cause I have a DGL 4500 router with a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. I upgraded that when I upgraded my internet service.
I'm sure you meant AMD and not SSD. But I like AMD more than Intel.

Should I go with a fan when I overclock? I was advised earlier against that. Because I definitely plan to overclock due to all the previous posts suggesting that it would be ideal and practical.

The Asetek Liquid CPU Cooling is a bad joke. Your paying extra money for less performance.

The 1000w Extreme Power Supply is another bad joke. To start with, the system your building will never come close to needing 1000 watts. And if I was going to buy a 1000 watt power supply a no-name "Extreme" would be the last choice on the list (actually it would never make my list).

To be perfectly honest I'm a little stumped. I see High End Rig and Overclocking being mentioned with AMD. That's like saying your buying a Kia Race Car. You can build a i5 750 for about the same price and have more performance potential than any AMD available.

Are you building this PC or buying it pre-made?

I didn't look at the exact prices and such, but with the money your dishing out for this rig, you would probably be able to build a decent intel i7 920 system. I know you said that you like AMD more than intel, but to choose a brand that doesn't perform nearly as well as another just because you like them seems silly to me. I am a big AMD fan myself, and I hold some resentment towards Intel but if I had the money right now, I would build an i7 920 rig no question. Just a matter of performance... right now AMD doesn't even come close to Intel in the high-end market.

^^ It's plenty for the OS and should still have enough room for some programs.

What SSD are you planning on getting?

I'm gonna redo my setup. Send back some parts and such. I'm building this from scratch and I should've came here before I began my project. I'm gonna redo some of my parts due to what you guys are saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom