Couple of problems with my new built computer... - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 12:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Re: Couple of problems with my new built computer...

mmm...

well I am using the 120 Extreme (Copper heatpipes /w Aluminum fins)

And there is only one possible orientation it seems , if I do it the other way, the pins won't match and the heatsink swivels lol (not good for such a giant thing, it might just fall off and break my gtx 295 -.-)

But the heatsink doesn't "touch" my northbridge cooler, there's like 2mm<space<1 cm in between the fins and cooler.

My cpu idles around 31/32 mostly (after I boot into OS) - is that high? and the reason being the orientation of the heatsink?

Old 08-22-2009, 12:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lord Techie

The pins don't match? What pins? Are you talking about the retention clamp? It fits either way, you may not have it full expanded. Your heatsink should be the exact same size as mine. And the heatsink is suppose to be able to move a little if you grap it and twist it, if it's not tight enough you can add 1/2 of a business card as a spacer, see pic above. The retention clamp has a bolt or screw head that's suppose to match up with the depression on the top of the heatsink base. Your heatsink should be up again the NB heatsink like mine was.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Techie

K i'll get home tonight and see if I can switch it around;
will I need to reapply thermal paste or anything?
Old 08-22-2009, 12:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

Is the samsung missing from "My Computer" or is it missing from the disk management? If its only the former then you need to format it.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 08-22-2009, 12:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
Lord Techie

It won't hurt to reapply some paste. Are you overclocking, your temps aren't bad but I'm mostly concerned that you don't have it attached correctly somehow. What are your temps like under full load? Run the Intel Burn Test for 10 passes with RealTemp running the whole time and then post a screenshot of the RealTemp window.

IntelBurnTest v2.3 download from Guru3D.com

Real Temp - CPU temperature monitoring
Old 08-22-2009, 12:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I am not OCing anything, will do so soon. But atm just trying to finish the pc completely lol.

K I'll get home and do that
Old 08-22-2009, 02:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmote View Post
Is the samsung missing from "My Computer" or is it missing from the disk management? If its only the former then you need to format it.
Yes if you have not check disk management for the drive.

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 08-22-2009, 03:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I figured all that out.

Only problem is the heat sink, and CPU Temps; which I'll get to and post it in about an hour or so
Old 08-22-2009, 06:15 PM   #19 (permalink)
Junior Techie

... Intel Burn Test isn't working for me...

And realtemp is giving erroneous temps for CPU (the evga classified debug LED reads 32 for the CPU; the realtemp says 47
Old 08-22-2009, 06:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
Lord Techie

the 32 is the temp of the cpu socket not the cpu cores. RealTemp should be giving you 4 temps, one for each core.

Do you have the EVGA E-LEET Utility installed? Start it up and click on the Monitoring Tab. Under Temperature you'll see a temp for cpu that should match or be close to your LED read-out. That's not the cpu temps, just the socket temp. You'll also see temps for CPU core#1 thru #4, those are what we care about and they should match RealTemp or they should be close.

Intel Burn Test isn't working. Is it just not loading or does it fail/generate an error?