Couple of problems with first build

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROFL_A_PIGGY

In Runtime
Ok so I've finally built my first build thanks to all the help that you guys have given me :)

I only have two problems with it:

1) My operating system (windows vista 32 bit) only detects that I have 3 gb ram, when I actually have 6gb. A friend told me that it could be the OS that reads it wrong because it's only 32 bit, but I thought I would come here to ask you about it. My work office gave me 32 bit instead of 64 bit because they didn't have it with them, so I've put in a work order for 64 bit, so hopefully they will get it soon.

2) My computer won't connect to the internet. I have comcast cable and when I tried to hook my computer up to my router, it didn't detect it.

GPU: GeForce Gtx 260 Superclocked (900mb memory, 448 bit interface)
CPU: Intel Core i7 Quad Core
Case: Thermaltake Armor Series (full tower)
PSU: Corsair 750w 700w
Mobo: ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard (Memory Standard: DDR3 1333, 2000 OC)
HDD: Western Digital 1TB
RAM: OCZ Gold 6gb (3x2gb)
OS: Vista Ultimate 32 bit (they gave us the wrong one at work, so I've ordered the 64 bit, and I'm using the 32 bit for now)
DVD Drive: LG Black/DVD burner
Keyboard: GIGABYTE standard keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G5 Laser Mouse
Monitor: 37" Vizio FHDTV (1080p)

On a side note, I've already tested a couple FPS and RTS games and they work like a charm, I even got 100 fps on a couple FPS games :D

1) your friend is correct... you will have all 6 once you get 64bit

2) double check to make sure you have the latest ethernet drivers for your mobo....
and make sure the ethernet port you have it plugged in is enabled in the BIOS

Thanks I'll go check #2, and if it is enabled and I don't have the latest drivers, how am I supposed to get them? I'm certain I don't have a cd with the drivers on it.

I'll edit this post once I look at the BIOS.

EDIT: It said something about LAN (couldn't read it because it only showed half of my screen for some reason..gonna fix the resolution) which was disabled, and I enabled it.

Yes it appears that you have not installed your lan drivers yet.
Download the latest drivers from asus and put them on a cd or usb memory stick.

Have you installed the newest chipset drivers as well?

Ok I found the chipset drivers on the cd that came with the mobo xD

I'm an excited man so I didn't pay attention to stuff like that, I just wanted this puppy to start up :D

I'm going to try install this and see if it does anything, and then I'll try find some lan drivers and put em on a usb. But on my old computer I don't think I had to install any lan drivers and my internet worked fine on it, but I'll look for em anyway.

Thanks guys, I'll post back after I've tried this.

go and download the newest chipset drivers from asus as the one on your disk is sure to be outdated.

For future refenence:
1) install OS
2) install newest chipset drivers.
3) install lan drivers.
4) go online and update windows.
5) install newest gpu drivers.
6) install sound and remaining needed drivers in no particular order.

WOOT IT WORKED. I put in the cd and installed the LAN driver and my internet works on it. YAAY!

I love you guys, thanks so much for the help.

EDIT: Oh and kinda off-topic, why doesn't my avatar show?

Double EDIT: My motherboard screen pops up at the start of the computer, can I just skip it and go straight to the OS?

Nice.

edit: are you uploading a custom avatar? if so it must fall within these guidelines based upon your current user lever.

Registered Users Extra (40 - 100 posts):

* Custom avatars allowed, 80x80 & 20k

double edit: If you are talking about the express gate screen you can either wait the 10 seconds, press the enter os button or turn it off in bios.

You cannot uninstall express gate as it is a built in ssd on the motherboard. It allows you some limited internet activities without installing an operating system.

You can disable it from bios if you do not want to see the splash screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom