A couple of multiple hardrive setup questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seawolf

Baseband Member
I have the components ordered and on the way for my first pc build. You can see the parts I've ordered in this thread on page two if you wish.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/s...ilt-do-my-first-build-go-through-dell-224394/
The only change I made to that list was to add a second 160 gig harddrive. I plan to use that drive for my Windows 7 OS. The second 1tb drive will be for pictures, mp3's, games and apps.
Please keep a few things in mind. I've never built my own pc before, nor run multiple harddrives or even used partitions. So obviously when it was time for reformats in the past I lost everything.
I have a couple of (no doubt noob) questions that hopefully can be explained in simple terms.

1. When I install both harddrives during the build will I need to make any changes to the drives themselves like you do when installing mutiple optical drives and setting jumpers to master/slave?

2. What will I need to do during the first bootup to get the pc to recognize the 160 gig drive to be the main drive that I want the OS installed to and the 1 tb drive to be the secondary? I assume that it'll be somewhere in the bios but just want to make sure that I get things setup right the first time.

Thanks.

1)No, satas go in 1 cable per drive.

2)I've had an issue when I added a second drive, when I used SATA port 4 for my os, and had inadvertantly put myh data into port 2.

Installing the OS got wonky. I would have to disable the data drive in the BIOS before I could Install.

When you Install gthe OS it'll ask where you want to install it to, but if indoubt, don't connect your data drive till after the systems up and running.

Once you get this all running, youre gonna be laughing at yourself as its quite simple. But don't worry, everybody has to ask and start somewhere.

1) No, there are no master/slave jumpers on SATA drives.
2) Probably nothing. When you install whatever OS it will display both HDDs and ask you if you want to do any partitioning and which HDD you want to put the OS onto. When you boot up for the first time it may
or may not have formatted the other HDD, if not you will need to do this manually (don't worry, its easy).

Once you get this all running, youre gonna be laughing at yourself as its quite simple. But don't worry, everybody has to ask and start somewhere.
I have no doubt that I will be laughing and wondering why I didn't do this along time ago.

Thanks for the quick and simple answers guys.
I'm looking forward to getting into this project.

i just built my dual boot XP and win7
320gb for XP
64gb SSD for win7
320gb for storage

it was pretty easy if you take your time.
i installed the first drive and loaded XP and got it running. loaded about 100 updates.
then installed the ssd. had to go to disk management and assign a drive letter and format the drive. then loaded win7 and got it running.
then installed the third drive for storage. went to disk management and assigned a drive letter and then formatted.
to my surprise win7 found all the drivers it needed. WOW

for using win7 only, just make sure you load the correct driver for the ethernet . once online win7 should find all the drivers neccessary to work.
if win7 keeps telling you to shut off the computer, its only doing this as its loading drivers. should only be once or twice.
sata drives are so much easier than the past setups (ide ribbon) you will wonder if its correct. its just too easy.

for using win7 only, just make sure you load the correct driver for the ethernet . once online win7 should find all the drivers neccessary to work.
if win7 keeps telling you to shut off the computer, its only doing this as its loading drivers. should only be once or twice.
sata drives are so much easier than the past setups (ide ribbon) you will wonder if its correct. its just too easy.

You can do it that way, but it's better to have prepared all the latest drivers for your hardware before and install in the following order:
1. Chipset driver (intel express chipset drivers)
2. Audio and LAN drivers
3. Vga and then others

It really doesn't matter too much after the chipset driver but its one of those things i like to spend the extra time on.

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

baih777 - I'm planning to do as you did and install my 160 gig hd first with Windows 7 on that one. Then when that one is running well install the 1tb drive for all of my other goodies. I do have one question for you guys though. I think at this point I want to make about a 60 gig partion for my Win 7 OS and the rest of that drive will hold utilities for the pc such as anti-virus etc. As i've said in an earlier post I've never used partitions, just one big lump hd. Will I need to make 1 or 2 partitions to do what I just said? I basically want two halves on the 160 gig drive.
Also you said "for using win7 only, just make sure you load the correct driver for the ethernet". I'm on DSL and in the past on my current machine using XP I never had to load anything. Windows just did it for me and it worked great. Will that not be the case on 7?

baron5 - You mention chipset, audio and LAN drivers. Wouldn't I just use the disk included with my MB? Also, I'm used to having a separate 10 - 100 pci ethernet board and the MB that I ordered has an on board LAN rj-45 socket. I assume that's what I'm going to plug into to access the internet now?

Btw, I think these are the links to the processor and MB I ordered. I say think because I ordered them in a bundle and that deal is over now and the old link I had is dead.
Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
Newegg.com - ASUS P7P55D PRO LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Please forgive my noobie questions. With a little help from you guys I may just get through this.

Remember, its a pain to change a drives side if you need more space.. I'm unsure of a win7 install foot print.

you will need 2 partions, but you can do it at OS install. It'll ask if you want to do this when you install.

Yes the disk will have all the drivers, but they could be old.

You definately don't want to use the supplied gpu drivers thoiugh, as they change almost monthly.

Good plan would be to install the supplied, then get the newest ones from the manfacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom