Core i7 vs Core 2 Quad

Status
Not open for further replies.

StealthTools

Hardware/VB.net/Anti-vir
I have a system I am building with a 780i SLI, QX6700 (3.5GHz+), GTX260 Core 216, Windows Vista Ultimate 64 I could turn profits on.

I am wondering if upgrading to a X58 EVGA and a core i7 920 is worth $350 more than what I already have.

Will I notice a huge performance increase? or only like a +-10% performance increase?

I heard something like the Core i7 920 can hit 4GHz on air or something insane like that... this true?

I also heard that the Core i7s take a performance hit in windows vista..

Im not too hot on the new i7 Intel's but that set up you have now is more than enough at the clock.

Personally I'd just save the money for a little while and see what's happening then. But of course the question is matter of opinion of your part.

I have a system I am building with a 780i SLI, QX6700 (3.5GHz+), GTX260 Core 216, Windows Vista Ultimate 64 I could turn profits on.

I am wondering if upgrading to a X58 EVGA and a core i7 920 is worth $350 more than what I already have.

Will I notice a huge performance increase? or only like a +-10% performance increase?

I heard something like the Core i7 920 can hit 4GHz on air or something insane like that... this true?

I also heard that the Core i7s take a performance hit in windows vista..

First off, who told you a 780i was a good board. Large waste of cash. But on to your question. Core i7 is actually a good deal faster than Core2. The 920 is a great value, even if the motherboards aren't. If you have the cash for an x58, a 920, and tri channel DDR3 then by all means upgrade.

Already thinking of upgrading before I've even sent off the stuff eh?

zmatt, who said the 780i was bad? It may not be some monster overclocker like the i45 but its by no means a bad board.

Actually it is a bad board. The 7 series and the 6 series too have a pretty bad fail rate. They are also overpriced. The only 7 series I would even come close to recommending is the 750i and that is only if you are an Nvidia fanboy. The current nvidia chipsets just aren't up to snuff. Luckily for all the sli users out there x58 supports sli. So you can have your cake and eat it.

The i7s are good chips, maybe 20-30% faster than the Q6700 clock for clock. But still, you will gain more performance going SLI as the others said, then save up and do a new build in 6 months or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom