Core i7 temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atech66

In Runtime
I hope i have this in the right place if not I apologize.
I recently recieved a new core i7 system and was wondering what peoples experience has been with variations in core temps.
I seem to not be finding the info online and wanted user experience vs manufacturer because I have found they often say "bah thats fine" to just about anything thats still running and has not quit yet lol
MSI X58 Platinum
VISTA Home 64
Core i7 920 2.6 stock cooling
3 Gigs DDR3 A-Data 1333
Samsung Sata 2
Super Writemaster
Geforce 9500GT 1 Gig PCI 16X
Raidmax Sagitta

Running real temps i get the following
#0 32c #1 33c #2 38c and #3 33c BIOS shows 39c only gives 1 temp.
it bounces on core #2 from 5-7c above the rest.
I have tried checking processes and threads but it does not show usage on that core at the time.
under full load playing Crysis or Witcher it never goes over 47-48 c
and they seem to balance out a bit more.
anyone had any experience with this? any input is appreciated.
Thank you
Atech:)

HEY! we are in the same boat :p I've used the stock cooler and an aftermarket one. With both coolers my core#2 stays about 5-7 above the rest too. Same thing about full load too-whenever it gets to full load it's usually just about 2-3 higher.

I don't know if it's bad sensor, bad mounting, bad paste application, or what...I wouldn't worry to much about it though

Stock Intel, seems to be doing its job but why the one is 5-7 c hotter I dunno.
It may be normal for the Corei7 but i want someone to tell me it is normal to put my paranoid self at ease lol

OK excellent THANKS :) Waffle
It may just be the nature of the beast I guess, but i had to see someone say it.
Mine does exactly the same thing as yours.

"Roger that" thanks :happy:

Core i7 920 @ 3.0Ghz
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5
6gb G.Skill 1600mhz/9-9-9-24
Corsair 750XT
EVGA GTX 260---216core
WD 640gb
14590 3dmarks @ stock

BTW NICE SPECS!! I am looking forward to the upgrades as i can afford them but had to start somewhere :)

You could lap your heatsink for better contact. I doubt you want to lap the i7, seeing as how they are brand new and cost so much. ;)

You didn't say what thermal paste you used. A good thermal paste can shave off a couple of degrees. Contrary to the urban myth, Arctic Silver 5 is not the best on the market. Look for MX2 if you are using the paste that came on the stock heatsink.

You could lap your heatsink for better contact. I doubt you want to lap the i7, seeing as how they are brand new and cost so much. ;)

You didn't say what thermal paste you used. A good thermal paste can shave off a couple of degrees. Contrary to the urban myth, Arctic Silver 5 is not the best on the market. Look for MX2 if you are using the paste that came on the stock heatsink.

Yup good guess.. lol i had the everlasting tube of Arctic Silver but i did notice that i got the same exact temps before as after i checked and reseated it.
I think I'll wait alittle while and see what it does since 5-7c variations seem to be normal i can't complain about 48c max gaming from what I am seeing.
I did contact NewEgg for the heck of it and the tech there said he has seen upward of 70c to 80c under load? with no problems?. that kinda freaks me out Jesus thats hot.
I thought i misheard him at first but he repeated it.
Anyone want me to heat some Burritto's while I play Crysis?
:D

Yup good guess.. lol i had the everlasting tube of Arctic Silver but i did notice that i got the same exact temps before as after i checked and reseated it.
I think I'll wait alittle while and see what it does since 5-7c variations seem to be normal i can't complain about 48c max gaming from what I am seeing.
I did contact NewEgg for the heck of it and the tech there said he has seen upward of 70c to 80c under load? with no problems?. that kinda freaks me out Jesus thats hot.
I thought i misheard him at first but he repeated it.
Anyone want me to heat some Burritto's while I play Crysis?
:D

eh...with stock cooler and it at full load mine got around 68C..after that i lowered the voltage. I managed to lower them from 1.29 auto to 1.01
which dropped the temp some..so you could try lowering yours if you want

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom