Core i7 Gaming Build Help Plz

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenMachine

In Runtime
Pouring hundreds in upgrades into my current system for me doesn't make much sense and I have decided on a new build. Oh the new technology is fun.. core i7's look nasty and so to SSD's! I wanted to wait for windows 7 (and cheaper ssd's) but have been reading up on different forums and just cannot wait any longer to build. I will be building my new system within a week to three and really need accurate help/advice on a great new gaming build! Please suggest builds or give me any advice or input you can including any accessories I may need. :D

Budget: $2000

Main Use: Gaming, Media Multitasking

Interests: core i7, SSD, Vista 64bit, 24'' Gaming LCD

Parts I don't need: mouse/keyboard/speakers/mic

Thanks in advance!,
GreenMachine

At this point in time I would save your money by not buying a ssd. I feel they are still too expensive for the extra speed you get. Not to mention the size per dollar is ridiculous. I would prefer to save that money and put it into a gtx295 or gtx285 and do the ssd later. Get a i7 920, gigabyte or asus board, 6gb ddr3 1600 ram, corsiar 750 or 850tx, 1tb hard drive for now and use it as a data drive later when the ssd drops in price.

Ya, stick with a standard drive for the time being. You can pick up a 640aaks for around 50 bucks and use it for a fairly speedy boot drive and pick up a couple 1.5tb drives for storage.

Evga x58 :) best warranty around -period-. Also, it comes with a preconfigured 3.2ghz overclock to get your feet wet. Personally i'd advise getting a 285 as the 295s are still problematic being sandwich boards. The 285 will play anything you want to play on a 24" monitor.

Well, here's what I came up with. I tend to agree with the SSD statements. They aren't quite there yet. Nevertheless, I included it in this build.

CPU: Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Motherboard: Newegg.com - EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Memory: Newegg.com - CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Video Card: Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-1281-AR GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

SSD : Newegg.com - OCZ Core Series V2 OCZSSD2-2C60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II & Mini USB 2.0 Port Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Solid State Disks

HDD: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

PSU: Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Blu-Ray/DVD Burner: Newegg.com - LG Black 6X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray/HD DVD-ROM & 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Model GGC-H20L - Blu-Ray Drives

Case - Really, your preference: Newegg.com - Computer Cases, PC Cases, ATX Mid Tower, Gaming Computer Cases, Custom Computer Cases, Cheap Computer Cases

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Monitor - Again, up to preference: Newegg.com - Computer Hardware,Monitors,LCD Monitors,24",

Newegg.com - ASUS MK241H Black 24" 2ms HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor with 1.3M Pixel Webcam 450 cd/m2 1000:1 (ASCR 3000:1) Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors

This is $0.08 shy of $2000 + shipping.

I was just about to suggest those ocz's. Better timings and cheaper :) Dominators are overpriced.

If ddr3 prices keep falling, i'm tempted to replace mine. Sad part is i paid 220 for my first 6gb and 170 for my 2nd 6gb :( Ah well the bleeding edge isnt cheap.

Holding off on the SSD makes sense.

Unfortunately Ill have to buy into Vista at this time, getting 64 Bit. I can use the HDDs in my sig for now.

Does it make sense to get that (in hikaricloud's build) monitor with speakers and a webcam in it instead of putting that money into the monitor? Or for that price its really the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom