Core i7 doesn't perform properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnico88

In Runtime
I just got an i7 920 CPU and it won't show the 8 threads in the Task Manager. I enabled HT in the BIOS but still not sign of it in Win 7 x64. Screen is below:

img.jpg

The problem isn't HT, that's working fine as shown in your cpuz screenshot. The problem is two of the cores aren't on. What motherboard do you have?
There's usually an option in the BIOS to disable cores on your cpu, you've probably got that turned on.
It'll be under the CPU options or CPU management part of the BIOS.

WOW, that is very strange. I see only 2 cores in the BIOS too:

EDIT: My board is a DX58SO

IMG_2965.jpg

I just did the BIOS update and both CPUz and BIOS show the same results. Are there any other drivers that I need to configure?

Well this is weird...
The "Active Processor Cores" showing 1,2, and All is normal. I don't think you can run an i7 with only 3 cores active is why.
However, the fact that windows still doesn't use the other 2 cores is mystifying. At this point I'd call up the people you bought the i7 from and see if they've heard of this happening before, you might need to get a replacement.

I might be missing something really obvious here, it seems ludicrous that a chip would fail like that. But with a motherboard that supports the cpu type, updated to the latest bios, with win7 x64...I really don't know what else it could be.

I'll just look up the documentation for your bios, make sure there's no setting there that's being overlooked.

edit: the only thing I could find is that the motherboard doesn't officially support windows 7. Do you have a copy of XP or Vista laying around? You don't even need to have a key, just install a trial version and see if all the cores are detected. I believe it's legal to download a copy of xp, so long as you don't get a key for it.

Here Windows seems to be recognizing all 8 cores: [screenshot below]
However doing a Google Search I found another guy who hasn't formatted his HDD and they told him that when upgrading you have to do a clean install of Windows to install new ACPI for the threads or whatever: Is that true?

cores.jpg

I hadn't heard that myself, but it's well worth a shot.
Also, if your BIOS has any options for turning off power to certain cores while in idle mode, or anything along that line, disable that for now.

On an unrelated note: Since you're going to be formatting and starting again anyway, make sure that you set your drives to AHCI mode (as opposed to IDE)

Go to the run window and type in msconfig. After a window pops up, click on the tab "Boot" and choose "advanced options". You might have mistakenly selected the number of processors, so uncheck the box and accept.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom