Core i5 build help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steelers501

Beta member
Hey everyone,

I am looking to build a core i5 computer and would like as many opinions/suggestions as I can get. I am fairly new to this so any help would be greatly appreciated. I would like to keep the price down as much as possible, so when you see links to a bunch of different websites for different parts it is only for that reason :thumbsup:

Processor: Micro Center - Core i5 750 Processor Boxed

Motherboard: Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Power supply: OCZ OCZ600MXSP 600W SLI/CrossFire Active Power Supply Retail at ZipZoomfly

Hard Drive: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Video Card: Newegg.com - ASUS EAH4670/DI/512MD3 Radeon HD 4670 512MB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

or

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-R467ZL-1GI Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Memory: Newegg.com - A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model AX3U1600GB2G9-AG - Desktop Memory

or

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ - Desktop Memory

Case: Newegg.com - Rosewill Wind Knight Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with pre-installed 2x 120mm Fan, Support up to 1x 140mm top fan, 2x 140mm side fan, 1x 140mm front fan, 1x 120mm rear fan - Computer Cases

DVD: SAMSUNG SH-S223B 22X SATA DVD Burner Black Drive Bulk at ZipZoomfly

CPU Cooler: Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Mounting Bracket: Newegg.com - XIGMATEK ACK-I5361 Intel Core i7/Core i5 compatible Bracket Set - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Basically, I would like to keep the price down as much as possible while still building a strong reliable machine. I do not play very many games, so the need for a good GPU is not high, but I also do not want to get a "bad" video card. Overall, the price of this machine in total is looking to cost about $650+tax and shipping. I do not really want to go above that, but if I have bad parts that I can upgrade, I will definitely look to do that. Also, if I have something that I went overboard with please let me know. I checked the compatibility of everything, and it seems as if they all work together, but if they do not please tell me.

Thank you for the help, I appreciate it.

Build looks good,
Ram - ive used g.skill, works well, and is commonly recommended around here. I dont have experience with a.data ram.

gfx card - both look good, i dont know ati gfx card brands too much. Asus has a higher rebate though if your lucky with rebates.

You didnt include an OS, did you need that?

I agree, go with the G. Skill.

The GPU is okay, what are you using this build for? If it's gaming then you'll want to go for something higher, like HD4850. If not then that will be fine.
ASUS and Gigabyte are pretty much equal in quality, just go for the cheapest.

Everything else looks good, except for OS as bkolk said.

Thanks for the help guys. I already have a copy of Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, so I do not currently need an OS. I do not play many games at all; if any, so the need for a great GPU is not very high. That being said, I also do not want a bad GPU so I looked up many different kinds and saw this one which looks like a pretty reliable, decent GPU. If it is not, please let me know. Thanks again for all the help :)

Nah, that's fine if you're not going to be gaming. It's a good choice.

Hey guys, one more question. I do not plan to overclock at all, and saw installation for the cooler I listed above and got kind of intimidated. I changed the case to an Antec 300 as I have heard great things about it. Will the stock Intel i5 cooler be sufficient with this case and keep it cool? Or should I buy the cooler and just be careful? Thanks again for the help.

Hey guys, one more question. I do not plan to overclock at all, and saw installation for the cooler I listed above and got kind of intimidated.

With no OC the stock cooler will work fine. The stock cooler has to be designed to function properly under normal circumstances (ie no OC) so itll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom