Core 2 duo Or Pentium D

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcortes

Fully Optimized
hey guys im looking to buy a processor but wasnt sure what would be better.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13 Ghz 1066MHz FSB 2M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819115004

Intel Pentium D 950 Presler 3.4 GHz 800MHz FSB 2 x 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Dual Core Processor - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116240

also what does the 950 mean my current chip is a 820 i dont know what that means and what is Presler and Conroe.

Anandtech didnt have an E6400 available at the time of the review. They acquired one later and promptly ran another benchmark with it (overclocked as well).

As for P-D 950...*shrugs*.

there is absolutely no contest here, the Core 2 wins. for the record the E6400 is an Allendale core not a Conroe. the difference between the Smithfield and Presler (8xx and 9xx series) lies in the cache and the die process size. the Smithfield series is essentially two Prescott cores and is 90nm. the Presler core is two Cedar Mill cores (Cedar Mill=Prescott core with smaller die process size and more cache) and is based on 65nm technology.

KingAustin said:
How do you have that many posts on here and are seriously asking that question?

Well there are a lot of other sections on this forum that have absolutely nothing to do with CPU's... but I get your point:p

KingAustin said:
How do you have that many posts on here and are seriously asking that question?

lol i understand your confusion i work alot with the os itself and diagnosing hardware problems ive installed alot of CPU's and built alot of comps but never upgraded one of my own usualy the person buys it and i install it for them plus i didnt know if the new core 2 duo would work in my comp due to it being a new technology i didnt know if there would be bios problems and such.

also one more question my current CPU is 90 nm and the one im getting is 60 nm will that affect anything and what is that exactly.

What motherboard do you have? Because I doubt it will work with the Core 2 Duo, it being old and everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom