core 2 duo heat problems - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 03-06-2007, 09:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Unhappy core 2 duo heat problems

Alright, here's the thing october last year I lamely orderd a coustom pc from a company in germany (i live in ireland) and i got the c2d e6600 on a gigabyte GA-965P-S3 Mobo, got a system fan and i'm using the boxed fan for the chip. airflow seems ok in the case and i dont see any marked improvments if i take the side off. anyway i'm getting fairly alarming temperature readings using intel thermal analysis tool and speedfan seems to varify this. Idles at 50c+ and rises past 76C when i use the full load test ( stopped it at this point but it was climbing steadily ). admittadly it never reaches full load when i'm gaming ( F.E.A.R. 65c ) but y'know i thaught these things were cool. I realise that there are a number of things that could be causing this like the heat sink not being fitted properly but there are others who seem to have the same problem and in nearly all cases re-fitting the HS didn't help ( and as im sure its painfully obvious that im a bit of a noob so yee can understand i'm not lookin forward to attempting this myself ) also i've heard that a small number of conroe chips are a wee bit dodgey just like a small number go as far as 4.0GHZ, a "luck of the draw" kind of thing, can anyone verify this? anyway thanks for reading my rantings. let us know what you think.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Im not familiar will intels but id suggest you list your spec and what case you have, this will help people who "can" answer you.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

Do you have a friend who can help you with the heatsink (HSF)? You should take it off, clean the surface of the HSF and the CPU; put some Arctic Silver on the CPU (very small amount) and mount the HSF.
TheMajorMMX - Intel P200 MMX @ 225Mhz - V-Tech (PcPartner) Baby-AT mb w/ Intel Triton TX chipset - Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64 w/ 16MB - 256MB M-Tec SDRAM - Still running.....
Old 03-06-2007, 12:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Originally posted by TheMajor
Do you have a friend who can help you with the heatsink (HSF)? You should take it off, clean the surface of the HSF and the CPU; put some Arctic Silver on the CPU (very small amount) and mount the HSF.
I second this suggestion. sounds like the heatsink paste is messed up. plus artic silver is usually superior to the stock paste
Old 03-06-2007, 02:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Renowned Budgeting Master
Send a message via AIM to Sora

If that is the Stock HSF then I bet you aren't pushing the sink on good enough. The first time I put on the stock cooler before my Arctic Freezer 7 I was getting the same temperatures and was scared. I checked a few times trying to push down but I ended up having to take out the whole board and push quite hard to get the back pins to snap right. That's probably the problem but also as someone said the stock paste they put on sucks anyway so get some AS5.
E6300 w/ Arctic Freezer Pro 7 @ 3.6ghz 1.4Vcore
Antec 900 Case
EVGA 750i FTW Mobo
4x1GB of G.skill DDR2-800
2 8800GT in SLI
22" Samsung Syncmaster
1 250GB WD and 1 Seagate 7200.10 in RAID 0
Corsair 520HX 3DMark06 Score: 13900
Old 03-06-2007, 07:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

seems like your hsf is no properly seated. get an arctic cooling freezer 7 pro and you're set.

MacBook 2.2GHz Santa Rosa | 120GB HDD | 4GB ram
Intel C2D E6300 @ 3.2GHz | 4GB ram | 880GB total HDD space | Gigabyte P965-DS3 | eVGA 8800GTS 640mb | Corsair HX 520 | Audigy 2 ZS platnium | Antec 900
Closed Thread