core 2 duo heat problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Up-Offaly

Beta member
Alright, here's the thing october last year I lamely orderd a coustom pc from a company in germany (i live in ireland) and i got the c2d e6600 on a gigabyte GA-965P-S3 Mobo, got a system fan and i'm using the boxed fan for the chip. airflow seems ok in the case and i dont see any marked improvments if i take the side off. anyway i'm getting fairly alarming temperature readings using intel thermal analysis tool and speedfan seems to varify this. Idles at 50c+ and rises past 76C when i use the full load test ( stopped it at this point but it was climbing steadily ). admittadly it never reaches full load when i'm gaming ( F.E.A.R. 65c ) but y'know i thaught these things were cool. I realise that there are a number of things that could be causing this like the heat sink not being fitted properly but there are others who seem to have the same problem and in nearly all cases re-fitting the HS didn't help ( and as im sure its painfully obvious that im a bit of a noob so yee can understand i'm not lookin forward to attempting this myself ) also i've heard that a small number of conroe chips are a wee bit dodgey just like a small number go as far as 4.0GHZ, a "luck of the draw" kind of thing, can anyone verify this? anyway thanks for reading my rantings. let us know what you think.

Im not familiar will intels but id suggest you list your spec and what case you have, this will help people who "can" answer you. ;)

Do you have a friend who can help you with the heatsink (HSF)? You should take it off, clean the surface of the HSF and the CPU; put some Arctic Silver on the CPU (very small amount) and mount the HSF.

TheMajor said:
Do you have a friend who can help you with the heatsink (HSF)? You should take it off, clean the surface of the HSF and the CPU; put some Arctic Silver on the CPU (very small amount) and mount the HSF.

I second this suggestion. sounds like the heatsink paste is messed up. plus artic silver is usually superior to the stock paste

If that is the Stock HSF then I bet you aren't pushing the sink on good enough. The first time I put on the stock cooler before my Arctic Freezer 7 I was getting the same temperatures and was scared. I checked a few times trying to push down but I ended up having to take out the whole board and push quite hard to get the back pins to snap right. That's probably the problem but also as someone said the stock paste they put on sucks anyway so get some AS5.

seems like your hsf is no properly seated. get an arctic cooling freezer 7 pro and you're set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom