Cooling Down System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gus_mp

Solid State Member
Lately my motherboard has been getting fairly hot (according to Asus Probe it has gone up to 44 degree celsius) This is with having my computer in the basement at a room temperature of 69 degrees farenheit. What I've done to temporarily fix the problem is I have placed a room fan a couple of feet from the case and just put it on a low setting which has dropped the MB temp to 32 degrees! Anyone have any suggestions or ingenuitive ideas as to what I could do to eliminate having this big room fan blowing in front of the computer case?

How many case fans do you have? What kind are they? What kind of cpu hsf do you have? Are you using Arctic Silver? Answer these then we'll talk =)

I have (2) 80mm case fans, I'm not positive what brand. I have the thermaltake Typhoon 2 heatsink and fan, and yes I am using arctic silver thermal compound

hmm, are you sure you applied arctic silver well? Also is it your motherboard that is getting this hot (like the chipset?) or your processor? If you have any 120mm fans instal them since they will provide more airflow than the 80mm ones.

my a8n-32 deluxe, says 40c right now, it doesnt take anything for it to get to 44c, i wouldnt worry about it

ive seen it all the way at 51-52c
i think the probe is below the pci-e slot so if the gfx card runs hot thats bassically why ur mobo monitor is hot

o, if it is ur processor and it says that well i would try artic silver and if you do use it, reapply it, i just did 5 mionutes ago, no lie :)
the waterblock had some but the processor had shiny burnt paste in some spots, NOT GOOD, but it all came off with prep-all alcohol.
did the rice grain thing and i was good to go.

thats is why I recommend people getting Antec Sonata II casing, it has a dual fan bracket right above the CPU and Graphics Card, though I am not utilizing any of the two, but thinking the design providing cool air direct from outside to the heat dissapating components, it cool.

I did check the arctic silver and used it to cover the processor. It's not the processor that get's hot, though normal temp is about 32 degrees celsius, then about 2-3 hours later of sitting there it can get up to the mid 40's. Blind arrow, you may be right though about the graphics card interferring with the temperature readings. If that is the case, what's going to happen if I decide to install 2 Crossfire read graphics cards?
I have read that these new mobo's can get really hot and I really shouldn't worry, but I haven't even gone into my video editing (which is why I built this machine the way I did) and it just eats me up that it can get so hot when my old asus (p5ad2) would only get about 31 degrees celsius, even under a load. That was before it just died on me.
One other quick question. My friend and I read this magazine about the Prometera (sp) tower that is water cooled. Though we read this back when we were in Kuwait before the invasion into Iraq and I'm wondering if and where it is being sold and if it worth going into water cooling. I did have one before, but it was a lower end model and didn't work much better than the stock Intel heatsink/fan.
Thanks again for all your help guys!

I dont think water cooling will bring notifiable change into your temperatures, btw, have you over clocked your system?

though keeping ambient temperatures inside the casing cool will help reducing the chipset's temperatures a lot. and using Arctic silver on the chipsets will not do good, infact you may be able to break the DIE when trying to pull the heatspreader off the chips. so better let it stay as it is.

if Asus had done at their full to provide optimum cooling by giving the Copper heatsink on their chipsets, means the temperatures they are showing are normal. else they obviously would have given the fans over their chipset heatsinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom