Cooler Master V8 Fan Controller Issue - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 02:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Cooler Master V8 Fan Controller Issue

Hey everyone!

I just installed a CM V8 fan on my AMD Phenom II x4 965 processor. Just barely fit in my CM Elite 310 case, but everything should be just fine.

The only issue I'm having is with the fan controller knob that installs to an empty PCI slot on the back of the case. I have the plate secured, but there is no way to secure the actual fan controller to the plate. In effect, turning the knob does nothing to prevent the controller from turning as well.

I've searched everywhere for a way to secure the controller to the plate, but I haven't found anything. Does anyone with some experience with the V8 have any solutions?

Thanks!

Old 05-30-2010, 11:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Re: Cooler Master V8 Fan Controller Issue

i will look tomorrow for you. i have one installed on my computer.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

i checked mine this morning .
you need to check your fan settings in your bios. there should be three settings.
fan is set to run full speed.
fan is set to run at different voltages.
fan is set to run to load on cpu.

right now what you are seeing is the voltage regulator knob you are referring to is only adjusting the fan spped at idle. you will only notice a small difference.
if you set the bios to run at full speed, you will propable notice the difference when you use the voltage regulator you are referring too.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

There should be a nut that attaches the controller to the plate. Pull the knob off and you should see the threads. If no nut is present then they shafted you and you'll have to go to the hardware store for a replacement. There may also be an on and off switch on the plate. If it is turned on then the system will determine the fan speeds according to the Smart Fan Settings in the Bios. If the switch is turned off then the fan speed is controlled by the fan speed knob on the plate / controller.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaymate View Post
There should be a nut that attaches the controller to the plate. Pull the knob off and you should see the threads. If no nut is present then they shafted you and you'll have to go to the hardware store for a replacement. There may also be an on and off switch on the plate. If it is turned on then the system will determine the fan speeds according to the Smart Fan Settings in the Bios. If the switch is turned off then the fan speed is controlled by the fan speed knob on the plate / controller.
Thanks for the information. I looked and there was no bolt... frustrating. But, instead of going through a whole bunch of red tape at my Micro Center, I made a two minute trip to a local hardware store and found a washer and nut that I put outside the plate to hold it in place.

It should work just fine now.

I appreciate the help... it's my first build so I'm excited to get it up and running.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Your Welcome

Don't forget to post some pictures of the finished product