Convincing my parents.. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 06:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Convincing my parents..

So my build is finalised, except for one problem. -

My parents refuse to let me make my own build. They're insisting I stick with a piece of crap $400 from Compaq or whatever crap brand names float around the place, or an even worse laptop.

My father is convinced I can buy any $400 piece of useless crap and throw in anything to make it better. That ****es me off to no end, he's only saying that because I bought a GeForce 6200 with AGP slots by accident while it was on sale, and couldn't return it.

I don't really know how to explain to them that a 8800 GTS will be a waste of money with a laptop, since they're too ignorant, so I need help, guys.

My current plan of action is to get a good friend of relative to buy it for me, totaled at $1400, then install windows XP and prove to my parents exactly how much better it will be than a piece of useless metal by Dell or Sony, and pay my benefactor back.

What are your suggestions?

Old 06-17-2007, 06:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Bulldog

Default Re: Convincing my parents..

well when it comes to that for me. start talking al ltechnical. and if they try to talk down to you just say no dad, your wrong a desktop video card cannot be installed into a laptop, you dont knw what you are talking about. etc etc

or you could give your uncle the money and list and he order it for you and let it be a surprise gift.

ポップ・タルトが大好きです。
<<<<<<<Rep is always welcome
Ultimate Guitar exercises/ Songs for technique
Old 06-17-2007, 06:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Show them some benchmarks...heh...

3770K | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 | DDR3-1600 16GB | CORSAIR 650D | CORSAIR HX 850W | CORSAIR H100 | SOUND BLASTER Z | ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3

Old 06-17-2007, 07:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Go into your parents wallet and prove it to them with their own money. That way you burn em twice.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Kill your parents in their sleep then buy a computer for a job well done.
Ram: 2x1gb OCZ ddr4pc3200
GPU: 7800 GT
PSU: Antec 500w
Mobo: DFI lanparty
Old 06-17-2007, 07:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

What works for most is a sneaky little trickeration. What you'll need is 2 nickels, whiteout, a rope, a location near a river. Paint the nickels with whitout, nobody can resist whiteout, let alone whitout on money. Tie the nickels onto the rope. Drag the rope along the ground, leading them drooling on the ground down to the river. When they dive in and realize they are in over their heads (no pun intended ) with their wanting the white nickels, simply make a deal that you will help them out of the water, and let each have a nice white nickel in exchange that they let you make a new build.... that simple... and works like a charm!
Old 06-17-2007, 07:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmatt View Post
well when it comes to that for me. start talking al ltechnical. and if they try to talk down to you just say no dad, your wrong a desktop video card cannot be installed into a laptop, you dont knw what you are talking about. etc etc

or you could give your uncle the money and list and he order it for you and let it be a surprise gift.
this works the best
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 06-17-2007, 07:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to psp_crazy1

I convinced mine a loooong time ago... my dad still thinks my computers under warranty with sony though O_O (it used to be a sony computer, only component that came from it still in it is a hdd)
Ultra ATX wizard case - Xcilio 500 watt

Toshiba Satellite A305
Sony Vaio VGN-BX560B
Sony Vaio (P3, 256mb RAM)
Old 06-17-2007, 09:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

What you should do is show them the price of your list, then go to dell or someone and build a similar computer, which will be priced 100-200 dollars more. and show them bench marks. If you can find someone else who has built a computer and let them talk to your parents. I remember when i convinced mine we were talking about it at a resturant. The waiter overheard us, and suggested that building was a great thing to do, and that really helped.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmatt View Post

that's what i purposely do to people who don't understand what i'm talking about. lol

Closed Thread